I am Associate Professor at the Department of Informatics Engineering, University of Coimbra. I received my PhD in Computer Science from TU Darmstadt in 2005 and my MSc in Systems Engineering and Computer Science from the University of Algarve in 2001.
My research interests are within algorithms for combinatorial optimization problems. I have been working on basic questions that arise on solution techniques to problems with several objectives of conflicting nature - so called multiobjective optimization - see my publications about this topic. I am also keen on applying these concepts to real-life problems - see MOSAL.
See my personal webpage to learn more about the research I am doing or to contact me.
- I will be track chair of ECOM at GECCO 2020 with F. Chicano.
- Congrats to Benjamin Doerr and Martin S. Krejca with the paper "The univariate marginal distribution algorithm copes well with deception and epistasis", winners of the EvoCOP Best Paper Award!
- New paper "A model of anytime algorithm performance for bi-objective optimization" accepted to Journal of Global Optimization.
- New paper "A rank-based mechanism for service placement in the fog" accepted to IFIP Networking 2020.
- New paper "Algorithm selection of anytime algorithms" accepted to GECCO 2020.
- New paper "On the rectangular knapsack problem - approximation of a specific quadratic knapsack problem" accepted to Mathematical Methods of Operations Research.
- I am Award Jury for the Open Optimization Competition 2020.
- If you are interested on doing a joint PhD on topics of optimization in Coimbra and in Kaiserslautern, check this opportunity.
- I am organizing training sessions for competitive programming - if you are a student and like to code, feel free to reach me to know more about this.
Department of Informatics Engineering, University of Coimbra
Pólo II, 3030-290 Coimbra, Portugal
Phone: +351 239 790 049
Fax: +351 239 701 266
E-mail: paquete (at) dei.uc.pt