Bachelor´s degree in Modern Languages
General Objectives of the CourseThis BA degree provides students with the necessary skills for a society of knowledge, where proficiency in languages, as well as the study of languages, literatures and cultures, are crucial means of production of symbolic and economic capital. The course outlines a broad-based training program that matches highly demanding intercultural communication and professional mobility challenges, crucial tools in contemporary national, European and world contexts. The program develops foreign language proficiency beyond that described in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL), in articulation with other subject areas of Arts and Humanities, by means of a strong curriculum in cultural and literary studies, as well as linguistics.
One of the following exams: (13) English or (18) Portuguese. Minimum Grades: Application Grade: 95 points; Admission exams: 95 points; Calculation Formula: High School average: 50%; Admission exams: 50%.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsInitial teacher training in languages (Portuguese as mother tongue, German, Spanish, English or French as foreign languages in pre-secondary, secondary and tertiary education or other; English as foreign language in pre-secondary, secondary and tertiary education or other). Researcher, translator, proofreading, editing or publishing coordinator, public administration, public relations. Other areas of professional, artistic and cultural activities requiring professionals trained in Arts and Humanities with excellent proficiency in foreign languages and cultures, as well as in Portuguese.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese, German, Spanish, French, English and Italian (depending on the alternative branch.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsBy the end of the course, graduates will be able to
- develop alternative and innovative ways of thinking in complex multilingual and multicultural contexts;
- engage in and promote creative dialogue between distinct linguistic, historical and civilizational perspectives;
- solve problems in autonomous, critical and innovative ways in plural communicative situations;
- manage information and its circulation, by using foreign languages as professional tools;
- have full control of skills related to access and treatment of various kinds of information;
- have developed the adequate communication skills for higher academic and professional contexts, in different foreign languages as well as mother tongue;
- have developed competences in one or more foreign languages beyond those required by the CEFRL.
- invest in and take advantage from the social value of the skills and competences developed during the program.
Maria Clara Bicudo de Azeredo Keating
Maria Joana de Almeida Vieira dos Santos
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July.
Achievement of the passing grade in a set of curricular units that amount to a total of 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesSecond cycle of studies (Master’s degree).
- Anglo-American Studies
- English and French
- English and German
- English and Italian
- English and Spanish
- French and Italian
- German and French
- German and Italian
- German and Spanish
- Portuguese and French
- Portuguese and German
- Portuguese and Inglês
- Portuguese and Italian
- Portuguese and Spanish
- Spanish and French
- Spanish and Italian
- Anglo-American Studies With Minor
- English and French With Minor
- English and German With Minor
- English and Italian With Minor
- English and Spanish With Minor
- French and Italian With Minor
- German and French With Minor
- German and Italian With Minor
- German and Spanish With Minor
- Portuguese and French With Minor
- Portuguese and German With Minor
- Portuguese and Inglês With Minor
- Portuguese and Italian With Minor
- Portuguese and Spanish With Minor
- Spanish and French With Minor
- Spanish and Italian With Minor
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9779
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 2015-03-23 a 2021-03-22