Artur J.M. Valente
Artur J. M. Valente obtained his Ph.D. from the Coimbra University (1999) for studies on the transport properties of non-associated electrolytes in polyacrylamide-based hydrogels. In 2015 he got the Habilitation in Chemistry (Macromolecular Chemistry). He is currently Associate Professor with Habilitation at the Chemistry Department of University of Coimbra.
-Transport properties in solution and through polymers
Our work has been devoted to the characterization by diffusion and electrical conductivity of aqueous solutions of small molecular weight molecules (e.g., amino-acids) in binary systems and also multicomponent systems (in the presence of, e.g., cyclodextrins), and on the development of polymeric films with specific functionalities (e.g., hydrogel-based delivery matrices, porphyrin-containing PEEK films with improving diffusing and permeation properties and paper tissue with improved water absorption and permeation properties)
- Supramolecular host-guest compounds,
We are interested in the physical-chemical behavior of host-guest compounds based on cyclodextrins and surfactants, allowing to modify the micellization properties of surfactants; other systems involving cucurbit[n]urils and luminescent compounds have also been developed.
Development of cyclodextrin-containing biobased polymers for the removal of micropollutants compounds from wastewaters
- Interactions between surfactants and polyelectrolytes, and multivalent metal ions.
Our interests are on the role of surfactants on the structure of high quantum yield polyelectrolytes, such as polyfluorenes, as well as on the development of lanthanide-containing polyelectrolyte-based probes
- 1990. Licenciatura in Chemistry, Univ. Coimbra, Portugal
- 1994. M.Sc. in Chemistry (Speciality: Organic Chemistry), Univ. Coimbra, PT
- 1999. Ph.D. in Chemistry (Speciality: Electrochemistry), Univ. Coimbra, PT
- 2015. Agregação (Habilitation) in Chemistry (Macromolecular Chemistry).
- 2019-Present: Prof. Associado com Agregação, Chemistry Department, University of Coimbra.
- 2015-2019: Prof. Auxiliar com Agregação, Chemistry Department, University of Coimbra.
- 2000-2015: Prof. Auxiliar, Chemistry Department, University of Coimbra
- 1994-2000: Prof. Auxiliar, Dept. Engineering and Industrial Management, Lusiada University
- 1991-1994: Assistente, Dept. Engineering and Industrial Management, Lusiada University
- 1990-1991: Assistente Estagiário, Dept. Engineering and Industrial Management, Lusiada University
- 2016-Present: Co-Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Molecular Liquids http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-molecular-liquids/
- 2002-Present: Associate Editor, Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta http://www.peacta.org/
- 2014-Present: Reviewer Editor, Frontiers in Chemistry - Polymer Chemistry
- 2020-Present: Editorial Board member, Polysaccharides
- 2019-Present: Editorial Board member, International Journal of Molecular Sciences (Macromolecules)
- 2020- Present: Editorial Board, Molecules https://www.mdpi.com/journal/molecules/editors
- 2020- Present: Editorial Board, Challenges
- 2023-Present: Director of the Chemistry Department
- 2023-Present: Member of the Faculty Assembly, FCTUC
- 2019-Present: Co-coordinator of Doctoral Programme in Chemistry, University of Coimbra
- 2015-2017: Pesquisador Visitante Especial (PVE, CNpQ), Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Paraná, Brasil.
- 2015-2019: Subdirector of the Chemistry Department.
- 2013: Visiting Professor, Chemistry Department, Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Brasil
- 2009-2013: Subdirector of the Chemistry Department.
- 2004-2008: Coordinator of the Pedagogic Committee of the Licenciatura in Chemistry, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Coimbra.
- 2007: Invited Researcher, Physical Chemistry I, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, Sweden.
- 2002-2004: Member of the Pedagogic Committee of the Licenciatura in Chemistry, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Coimbra.
Departamento de Química, Universidade de Coimbra, 3004-535 Coimbra
Phone: +351 239 828403
E-mail: avalente @ ci.uc.pt