Introdução à Medicina Tradicional Chinesa
Unidades Curriculares Opcionais
1º Ciclo - Licenciatura
Conhecimentos de Base Recomendados
Students are required to be able to read academic papers in English, and have a general understanding of the framework of biomedicine.
Métodos de Ensino
This course is to introduce traditional Chinese medicine and students have no knowledge of it, so it is basically a teacher-centered course. The teacher will provide study materials and in the class, PPT, pictures, videos and real-setting practice will be combined to give a vivid view of the contentes related. Toward the end of each class, discussions will be raised for certain topics and students are required to choose at least two of them for further literature research and report the research in two articles.
Resultados de Aprendizagem
After learning the course, students are supposed to know a different system of medicine; the relevence of TCM in modern society; know its past history and present situtation in China and Western countries; understand its most basic concepts; know its special ways for daily healthcare; know its way of diagnosis and many common treatment modalities, such as Chinese herbal medicine, moxibustion, cupping and Chinese tuina, especially the acupuncture; know the strengths and shortcomings of both Chinese medicine and biomedicine. Thus, they will get a general understanding of the framework of Chinese medicine and their vision in medicine will be broadened. This course will also be beneficial to their further study of Chinese medicine and acupuncture.
Preface Relevance and some problems of learning traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) 1h
Unit 1 History and present situation of TCM in China and in Western Countries 3h
Unit 2 Fundamental concepts of TCM 6h
Unit 3 Chinese-way exercises and daily healthcare for longevity 6h
Unit 4 Diagnostics of TCM 2h
Unit 5 Chinese herbal medicine and formulas 2h
Unit 6 Acupuncture: channel system, acupoints, techniques and modern research 6h
Unit 7 Moxibustion, cupping and Chinese Tuina 2h
Unit 8 A comparison of TCM and biomedicine 2h
Maria Filomena Rabaça Roque Botelho
Métodos de Avaliação
Trabalho de investigação: 70.0%
1. Ma Bo-ying. A history of medicine in Chinese culture. Shanghai: Shanghai People’s Publishing House, 2010.
2. Zhang Wei-feng. Cultural collision of Chinese and Western medicines. Nanjing: Nanjing Publishing House, 2013.
3. Peter Deadman. Live well, live long. The Journal of Chinese Medicine Ltd., 2016.
4. Nigel Wiseman. Fundmentals of Chinese medicine. Paradigm Press, 1995.
5. Chen Jia-xu. Diagnostics in Chinese medicine. People’s Medical Publishing House, 2011.
6. Dan Bensky. Materia Medica: Chinese herbal medicine. Eastland Press, 2004.
7. Zhu Bing. Meridians and acupuncture. Singing Dragon, 2010.
8. Sarah Pritchard. Chinese massage manual: a comprehensive, a step-by-step introduction to the healing art of Tui Na. Singing Dragon, 2015.
9. Chang Xiaorong. Illustrated Chinese moxibustion techniques and methods. Singing Dragon, 2012.
10. Ilkay Z. MBAcC RCHM. Traditional Chinese Medicine Cupping Therapy. Churchill Livingstone, 2014