Integrated Master's degree in Architecture
Department of Architectureopen website other courses
Integrated Study Cycle (1st and 2nd)
Integrated second cycle
Armando Manuel de Castilho Rabaça Correia Cordeiro (email@example.com)
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Susana Luísa Mexia Lobo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General Objectives of the CourseThe objective of the Architecture Course Study Cycle is the training of capable and responsible architects from a technical, artistic, theoretical, critical and civic point of view, that are able to create architectural designs that
take into account the needs of citizens, in each context and program, as well as dealing with the various aspects related to the concept of architecture, particularly in the areas of Theory, History and The City. In this sense, the
Mastercourse is also aimed at achieving a balance between theoretical and practical aspects inherent to architecture. It is also the overall objective of the course to equip students with knowledge of local, regional and
the national realities, but also framing other areas of action on a global scale. It is also crucial the consideration of dynamic scenarios within the practice and theory of architecture in the contemporary scene, vis-à-vis the
development of an active and reflective sensibility.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe architectural practice in its various spheres deals with complex technological aspects, constantly evolving, that require high levels of training and with strong interdisciplinary. The ongoing transformations in a globalized world, pose new challenges of economic, cultural, social, ethical and environmental nature for which the Architect should be sensible, bearing in mind that one of the results of his professional intervention should be beauty and never caprice. The formation of the Architect should allow him to atribute quality and effectiveness to the various phases of the architectural design, from concept to monitorizing the building site. Moreover, he should also be prepared to participate in the different stages of the production process of the built environment: planning - conception - construction - maintenance - management. According to the generic skills identified in the "Tuning" project, the DARQ defined the following learning objectives:
1. Architectural culture - adequate knowledge of the history and theories of architecture, of the arts, technologies and human sciences.
2. Understanding Space - Ability to create architectural designs that satisfy spatial, environmental, cultural and technical demands.
3. Relationship of scales and proportions - Ability to grasp the relationship between, on the one hand, man and buildings and on the other, between buildings and their environment.
4. Understanding Construction - Knowledge of the problems of structural design, construction and civil engineering related to the design of buildings.
5. Autonomy working in design - Ability to independently develop the proper acts of the profession.
6. Synthesis ability - Ability to understand the various design and project problems as a systemic whole.
7. Critical ability - Ability to establish operational relationships between projectual problems and adquired knowledge regarding technological, cultural and social matters.
8. Ability to communicate by drawing - Suitability to conceive and organize spaces through design, both manual and digital.
9. Ability to communicate orally and in writing - Ability to communicate work oraly and through written production.
10. Coordination capacity - Ability to coordinate the various subjects that inform the project.
11. Knowledge of artistic culture - Ability to leverage the knowledge in the development of the artistic and compositional aesthetic sensibilities, the relationship between forms and ideas, the operating complexity of thought.
Mode of StudyFull time attendance
Access to Further StudiesPhD
Mathematics (16) e Descriptive Geometry (10).
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Recognition of Prior LearningThe recognition is given according to the required qualifications and curriculum notes, obtained by the candidates, expressed in the course’s application form.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law no 74/2006, 24th March, amended and republished by the decree: DL no 107/2008, 25th June; ordinance no 782/2009, 23th July.
Professional GoalsCarrying out professional services (architecture and urban planning), teaching, conducting research in universities, central and local public administration (Ministerial Services, the Regional Coordination Commissions, chambers, local technical offices), and companies related with projects and construction of physical and urban spaces.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Public defense of a dissertation
- Study Programme
- Applications Notice (only in portuguese)
1st SemesterStart date: 10-09-2018
End date: 20-12-2018
2nd SemesterStart date: 04-02-2019
End date: 30-05-2019
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)
- 2014-03-03 a 2020-03-02
R/A-Ef 1584/2011 - DGES
Direcção Geral de Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)