Master in Teaching of Biology and Geology in the 3rd cycle of Basic and Secondary Education
Department of Life Sciencesopen website other courses
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
Advanced specialization second cycle
Miguel Ângelo do Carmo Pardal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
António Manuel Santos Carriço Portugal (email@example.com)
General Objectives of the CourseThe main objectives of this study cycle are in accordance with the Decree-Law nº 79/2014 of May 14, where the legal system of professional qualification for teaching in pre-school and primary and secondary school is defined and according to the Vision of the University of Coimbra and its guidelines (http://www.uc.pt/planeamento/visao): research, teaching, knowledge transfer and resources (“To promote a proactive management, rational, responsible and rigorous of resources, based on criteria of economy, efficiency and effectiveness, increasing the potential of the participation of the University community and society in the most diverse domains”).
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe main objectives of the study cycle are the following:
• To acquire knowledge of the curricular guidelines and syllabus of Biology and Geology of the basic and secondary education, and of the correct teaching methodologies from the scientific and pedagogical point of view.
• To know how to use in pedagogical practice the knowledge acquired in the study areas, including lesson planning, preparation and development of teaching materials and resources, and of assessment in accordance with the prevailing models of education.
• To know how to adapt the performance to different situations of learning and human development, both in terms of teaching students of different age levels and readiness for learning, including curricular changes, development of interdisciplinary projects, and others.
• To develop good practice in the learning and assessment.
• To know the school reality, including the legislative framework for the organization of schools, allowing cooperation with the governing school bodies and the school community.
Mode of StudyDaytime regime / Face-to-face
Access to Further StudiesAccess to the courses of the 3rd cycle in the area of Biology and Geology, in the area of Sciences Education, Sciences History and Education Sciences.
Holders of a degree in Biology with minor in Geology, in Geology with minor in Biology or in Biology and Geology, designed according to the Bologna model (120 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System in the two areas (Biology and Geology) and no less than 50 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System.
Candidates must meet the requirements of Article 11 of Decree-Law 43/2007.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Recognition of Prior LearningThe recognition of prior learning is done according with the established in the “Regulamento de Creditação de Formação Anterior e de Experiência Profissional da UC”.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law nº. 79/2014 of May 14
Professional GoalsHolders of professional qualification for teaching as defined in Article 4 of Decree-Law nº. 79/2014 of May 14.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs defined in “Regulamento Pedagógico da Universidade de Coimbra” – “Regulamento n.º 321/2013 of August 23.
Public defense of a dissertation
1st SemesterStart date: 11-09-2017
End date: 21-12-2017
2nd SemesterStart date: 05-02-2018
End date: 30-05-2018
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)
- 2015-07-23 a 2018-07-22
R/A-Ef 1571/2011 - DGES
Direcção Geral de Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)