General Objectives of the CourseThe first cycle studies is intended to provide a mainly comprehensive training, which enables a solid and highly-qualified approach to education in all its diversity and spectrum. This includes the need to prepare Bachelors in a pre-vocationally or vocationally oriented dimension.
Professionalization should be acquired mainly by means of the 2nd cycle studies (complementary training), in which there is a more specialized training and a stronger practice component.
The aim of the first cycle studies is a generalist training that mainly enhances intervention skills in multiple training fields, so that the Bachelor’s Degree develops a coherent and articulate set of competences which enable Bachelors to work within diversified professional activities.
The Bachelor’s Degree Diploma in Educational Sciences will be granted when the student obtains 180 ECTS in accordance with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
The first 3 semesters (which make a total of 90 ECTS) include, mainly, scientific fields related to the basis of education, scientific research methodologies and technical training. These fields are organized in 18 compulsory curricular units.
From the 3rd semester on there are curricular units oriented towards specific training fields (continuing in the second cycle of studies), and on the 5th and 6th semesters there is an enhancement in the practice dimension (UOI - Units of Observation and Intervention; 6 ECTS for each unit) and two elective training units (4 ECTS for each unit).
The 5th and 6th semesters include 8 compulsory curricular units (40 ECTS), two elective curricular units (8 ECTS) and two observation and intervention units (12 ECTS).
The Bachelor’s degree in Educational Sciences aims to qualify the graduated students with a theoretical, methodological and practical knowledge that will allow them to an efficient educational intervention providing the following specific skills:
• Understanding and conceptualizing the educational phenomena
• Observation, analysis and investigation of the educational reality
• Educational planning, management and evaluation
• Innovation and design of educational methodologies and resources
• Monitoring and educational guidance and training.
One of the following tests: (02) Biology and Geology or (17) Applied Mathematics in Social Sciences or (18) Portuguese.
- Calculation formula: Average of High School marks: 50% .Specific entrance exams: 50%
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsThe career opportunities listed below correspond to the opportunities related to the Master’s Degree in Educational Sciences: Educator, Trainer and Educational Mediator, Senior Technician in Education in the following fields:
- Health Promotion and Education.
- Social Reintegration
- Protection and Social Reintegration of Children and Youth
- Parental and Family Education
- Education and Communication Technologies
- Public Administration, Local Government and Local Development Organization,
- Management and School Administration
- Teacher Training
- Vocational Trainers Training
- Individual Psycho-pedagogical Support and support in Educational Organizations.
- Special Education
- Social and educational intervention and Social Education
- Intervention and Community Entertainment
- Education and Training for Youth and Adults (cultural and recreational associations, professional schools, student support offices, health centers, CNOs (New Opportunities learning Centres); RVCC (Portuguese System of Recognition, Validation and Certification of Competences for adult education)
Portuguese Universities for Seniors, Nursing Homes, etc.).
- Employment and Vocational Training (EFA – Adults Education and Training, EFJ – Youth Training and Education)
- Teaching and Scientific Research in Higher Education Institutions
- Liberal profession.
Mode of StudyThe course is delivered in full time or part time attendance and daytime schedule.
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)The course is delivered in full time or part time attendance and daytime schedule.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Armanda Pinto Mota Matos
Recognition of Prior LearningThe provisions of article 45 in the Decree Law no. 74/2006, 24th March, with the words of Decree Law no.107/2008, 25th June shall apply.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by Decree Law no. 74/2006, 24th March, amended and republished by DL no. 107/2008, 25th June; Ordinance no. 782/2009, 23rd July.
The Bachelor’s Degree Diploma in Educational Sciences will be granted when the student obtains 180 ECTS, in accordance with the European Credit Transfer System.
Access to Further StudiesThe Bachelor’s Degree Diploma in Educational Sciences (1st cycle studies) awards students with qualification to proceed their studies to the Master’s Degree in Educational Sciences (2nd cycle studies).
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9026
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 3 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 2016-06-29 a 2022-06-28