Name: Maria da Conceição Morais de Oliveira Cunha
Full Professor - Hydraulic, Water Resources and Environment
Address: DEC- Polo II da Universidade de Coimbra, Pinhal de Marrocos, 3030-290 Coimbra, Portugal
Telephone: +351239797175; Fax: +351239797156; Email: email@example.com; Office: SH5.1
- Diploma in Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra (Portugal).
- MSc in Hydraulics and Water Resources, Technical University of Lisbon.
- PhD in Natural Applied Sciences, branch Water Science, University of Louvain (Belgium).
- “Aggregation” in Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra.
Full Professor, Civil Engineering Department, University of Coimbra, lecturing courses in Water Resources Planning and Management, Introduction to Environmental Engineering, and, at post-graduate level, Hydraulics of Groundwater and Hydrosystems Analysis.
Vice-Chairman of the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra (2008-2009).
Associate Dean (2009-2011).
Elected member of the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra (2009-).
Elected member of the Scientific Commission of the Civil Engineering Department (2009-2011; 2013-2015; 2015-2017).
Coordinator of the PhD program in Environment Engineering (2010-).
Coordinator of the research line “HyWaRe -Hydraukics and Water Resources”, Mare (Research Center). (2012-2018)
Appointed as “Distinguished Visiting Fellow” by the Royal Academy of UK to work with the University of Exeter, Imperial College and University of Exeter (May 2017).
Visiting Professor at La Sapienza Università di Roma (April 2018).
Appointed by the Minister of the Environment and Spatial Planning as member “expert” of the National Water Council (2010-)
Consultant of the Administration of the Hydrographic Central Region (ARH) for Watershed Master Plans (2009-2012) and member of the Council of ARH (2015-).
President of the Portuguese Water Resources Association (2014-2016)
Member of the Environmental Council of the Group Navigator Company (former PORTUCEL-SOPORCEL - paper industry) (2008-).
Member of the task force “Doctoral Studies and Research” of the Coimbra Group of European Universities (representing the University of Coimbra) (2009-2013).
Member of the Strategic Council of the Portuguese Water Partnership (2013-)
Member of Council of the Administration of the Hydrographic Central Region representing the CRUP - Council of Rectors of the Portuguese Universities (2015-)
Member of the Forum for Sustainability promoted by the Navigator Company (2015-)
National Delegate to COST Actions Management Committee: C19-Proactive Crisis Management of Urban Infrastructure. (2005-2008) and TU0902-Integrated Assessment Technologies to Support the Sustainable Development of Urban Areas, (2009 -2012).
Main research areas
Hydrosystems analysis, Reservoir and aquifer planning and management, Water and wastewater design optimization, Robust optimization, Flexibility design of water infrastructures
Cunha, M.C., Nunes, L., Groundwater Characterization, Management & Monitoring, WIT press, 277p., 2011. ISBN: 978-1-84564-134-4
Papers in International Journals (2013-)
- Nunes, L. M., Cunha, M. C., Ribeiro, L., "Coverage Methods for Early Groundwater Contamination Detection", Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 90(5), pp. 531-536, 2013 doi: 10.1007/s00128-013-0971-1.
- Chebbi, A., Bargaoui, Z.K., Cunha, M.C., “Development of a method of robust rain gauge network optimization based on intensity-duration-frequency results”, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17 (10), pp. 4259-4268, 2013
- Costa, A.L., Cunha, M.C., Coelho, P., Einstein, H., “Solving High-Speed Rail Planning with the Simulated Annealing Algorithm”, Journal of Transportation Engineering (ASCE), 139(6), pp. 635–642, 2013. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000542
- Zeferino, J., Antunes, A.P., Cunha, M.C., “Regional wastewater systems design under population dynamics uncertainty”, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management (ASCE), 140 (39), pp. 322-331, 2014.
- Pinto, R., Cunha, M.C., Roseta-Palma, C., Marques, J.C., “ Mainstreaming Sustainable Decision-Making for ecosystems: Integrated Ecological and Socio-economic Targets within a Decision Support System”, Environmental Process, 1, pp 7-19, 2014 DOI 10.1007/s40710-014-0006-x
- Maier H.R., Kapelan Z., Kasprzyk J., Kollat J., Matott L.S., Cunha M.C., Dandy G.C., Gibbs M.S., Keedwell E., Marchi A., Ostfeld A., Savic D., Solomatine D.P., Vrugt J.A., Zecchin A.C., Minsker B.S., Barbour E.J., Kuczera G., Pasha F., Castelletti A., Giuliani M. and Reed P.M., “Evolutionary algorithms and other metaheuristics in water resources: Current status, research challenges and future directions”, Environmental Modelling and Software, 62, pp. 271-299, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.09.013.
- Zeferino, J., Cunha, M.C., Antunes, A.P., “Planning regional wastewater systems across borders”, Water Resources and Economics, 8, pp. 4–15, November 2014
- Marques, J. C. R., Cunha, M. C., Savic, D., “Multi-objective Optimization of Water Distribution Systems Based on a Real Options Approach”, Journal Environmental Modelling & Software, 63, pp. 1-13, 2015.
- Marques, J. C. R., Cunha, M. C., Savic, D., “Using Real Options for an Eco-friendly Design of Water Distribution Systems”, Journal of Hydroinformatics, 17(1), pp. 20-35, 2015.
- Marques, J. C. R.; Cunha, M. C.; Savic, D., "Using Real Options in the Optimal Design of Water Distribution Networks". Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 141 (5), 04014052, 2015 doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000448
- Vertommen, I., Magini, R., Cunha, M.C., "Scaling Water Consumption Statistics", Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 141 (5), 04014072, 2015.
- Roebeling, P. C., Cunha, M.C., Arroja, L., van Grieken, M.E.,"Abatement vs. treatment for efficient diffuse source water pollution management in terrestrial-marine systems", Water Science and Technology, 72(5), pp. 730-737, 2015
- Marques, J.; Cunha, M.; Savic, D. "A multicriteria approach for a phased design of water distribution networks". Procedia Engineering, 119, pp. 1231-1240, 2015. DOI:10.1016/j.proeng.2015.08.983
- Costa, A., Cunha, M., Coelho, P., and Einstein, H. "Decision Support Systems for Real-World High-Speed Rail Planning." Journal of Transportation Engineering, 142(5), 04016015, 2016. http://ascelibrary.org/doi/10.1061/%28ASCE%29TE.1943-5436.0000837
- Vieira, J., Cunha, M.C., "Systemic approach for the capacity expansion of multisource water-supply systems under uncertainty", Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, ASCE (10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000668 , 04016034, 142(10), 2016.
- Cunha, M.C., Zeferino, J.A., Simões, N. E., Saldarriaga, J.G., "Optimal location and sizing of storage units in a drainage system", Environmental Modelling & Software, 83, pp. 155-166, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.05.015
- Cunha, M.C., Zeferino, J.A., Simões, N.E., Santos, G.L., J Saldarriga, J.G., "A decision support model for the optimal siting and sizing of storage units in stormwater drainage systems", International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning, 12(1), pp. 122-132, 2017. ISSN: 1743-7601 (paper format), ISSN: 1743-761X (online), http://www.witpress.com/journals, DOI: 10.2495/SDP-V12-N1-122-132
- Marques, J., Cunha, M, Savic, D. "Water Network Design Using a Multiobjective Real Options Framework," Journal of Optimization, vol. 2017, Article ID 4373952, 13 pages, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/4373952.
- Vieira, J., Cunha, M.C. Cunha, "Closure to "Systemic Approach for the Capacity Expansion of Multisource Water-Supply Systems under Uncertainty", Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 143(9), Article number 07017003, 2017 WOS:000408564100016.
- Vieira, J., Cunha, M.C., "Nested Optimization Approach for the Capacity Expansion of Multiquality Water Supply Systems under Uncertainty", Water Resources Management, 31(4), pp 1381-1395, 2017 doi:10.1007/s11269-017-1584-y
- Zeferino, J. A.; Cunha, M. C.; Antunes, A. P., "Adapted optimization model for planning regional wastewater systems: case study", Water Science and Technology, 76(5), pp.1196-1205, 2017. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2017.302 DOI: 10.2166/wst.2017.302
- Marques, J., Cunha, M., Savi?, D., "Ranking alternatives for the flexible phased design of water distribution networks". Procedia Engineering, 186, 567-575, 2017.
- Chebbi , A., Bargaoui , Z.K., Abid, N., Cunha, M. C., "Optimization of a hydrometric network extension using specific flow, kriging and simulated annealing" Journal of Hydrology, 555, pp. 971-982, 2017.
- Costa, A.L., Cunha, M.C., Coelho, P.A.L.F., Einstein, H.H., "Planning for Natural Hazards: a Robust Approach for High-Speed Rail Infrastructure", Natural Hazards Review, 19(1): 04017025, 2018, ASCE, ISSN 1527-6988. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000277
Book Chapters (invited)
- Costa, A. L., Cunha, M. C., Coelho, P. A. L. F., and Einstein, H. H. in “Metaheuristics and Optimization in Civil Engineering.”, Edited by Xin-She Yang, Gebrail Bekdaş, Sinan Melih Nigdeli, Springer International Publishing, pp. 235–253. 2016 doi:10.1007/978-3-319-26245-1_11. Print ISBN :978-3-319-26243-7. Online ISBN: 978-3-319-26245-1
Research Projects (2013-)
- Investigator Coordinator of IMAR-CMA participation in the project “Iberian Trans-boundary Water Management (IB-TWM): experiences from the past and approaches for the future”, (financed by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia), 2010-2013.
- Investigator Coordinator of the Portuguese participation in the research project “ESAWADI- Utilizing the Ecosystem Services Approach for Water Framework Directive Implementation”, (financed by the EU in the scope of the IWRM-NET), 2010-2013.
- Investigator Coordinator of IMAR-CMA participation in the project DESAFIO - Democratisation of Water and Sanitation Governance by Means of Socio-Technical Innovation” Financed by the EU -"Collaborative Project for specific cooperation action dedicated to international cooperation, 2013 - 2015.
- Investigator of the team of the research project of CENOR Consultores, S.A. (ACIV subcontract) for projecto "All-Hazard Guide for Transport Infrastructure-AllTraIn", financed by EU, (HOME/2012/CIPS/AG/4000003748), 2013-2015.
- Investigator in the Project "Drenaje Urbano y Cambio climático: Hacia los sistemas de Alcantarillado del Futuro", financed by “Programa Nacional de Desarrollo Tecnlógico Industrial y Calidad”, Colombia, 2013-2016.
- Investigator Coordinator of the participation of the University of Coimbra in the project "Legacies of Agricultural Pollutants (LEAP): Integrated Assessment of Biophysical and Socioeconomic Controls on Water Quality in Agroecosystems (WaterJPI/005/2015)"- financed by EU. Started April 1th, 2017 (duration 3 years). Horizon 2020.
- Investigator Coordinator of the participation of the University of Coimbra in the project " Cleaning Litter by developing and Applying Innovative Methods in european Seas (CLAIM), Grant Agreement No. : 774586, Started November1th. 2017 (duration 4 years). Horizon 2020.