Strength of Materials, Structural Analysis, Construction Materials.
The teaching methodologies are based on theoretical-practical lessons with the exposure of theoretical concepts, immediately followed by their exemplification. At the end of the semester an application work with laboratory shed is proposed to allow contact with the material and its specificities.
Competences in terms of knowledge of new materials and solutions:
Knowledge on the particularities of the materials presented.
Understanding the specifics regarding the application of materials and technologies presented.
Knowledge of the regulatory framework of design of wooden and masonry structures
Application of knowledge and decision-making:
Ability to develop practical projects with application of materials and technologies presented.
Development of ability to make choices in terms of structural design.
Development of evaluation capacity regarding the design solutions obtained.
Development's ability to solve problems resulting from the choices made.
1. Basic knowledge about the wood material.
1.1 Important characteristics and properties of the wood material.
1.2 Wood as building material.
1.3 Construction products of solid wood and its derivatives.
2. Concept and design of wooden structures
2.1 Basis for design and properties of materials.
2.2 Ultimate limit States
2.3 Serviceability Limit States
2.4 Mechanical connections with dowel-type fasteners
2.5 Mechanical connections with contact connectors
2.6 Durability and preservation of wooden structures
3. Rehabilitation of wooden structures
4. Basic knowledge on the constituent materials of masonry structures
5. Concept and design of masonry structures
João Henrique Jorge de Oliveira Negrão
The evaluation is carried out through practical works undertaken throughout the semester together with a final exam.: 100.0%
• Apontamentos da Disciplina (Disponibilizados na página da disciplina)
• João Negrão e Amorim Faria “ Projecto de Estruturas de Madeira” Publindústria 2009.
• Alfredo Dias, Helena Cruz, José Saporiti, João Custódio e Pedro Palma “Avaliação conservação e reforço de estruturas de madeira “ Verlag Dashofer 2009 ISBN: 978-989-642-065-9
• STEP “STEP - Timber Engineering ”. First Edition Centrum Hout, The Netherlands, 1995.
• Wood Handbook - Forest products laboratory, United States Department of Agriculture
• Natterer, J., Herzog, T., Volz, M., “Construire en Bois 2” . Presses polytechniques et universitaires romandes, Switzerland,1991
• EN 1990 EC0 : Bases para o dimensionamento estrutural
• EN 1991 EC1: Acções em Estruturas
• EN 1995 EC5: Dimensionamento de Estruturas de madeira
• EN 1996 EC6: Dimensionamento de Estruturas de Alvenaria