1) Lecturing will be oriented to the practical application of theoretical and critical notions, always illustrated by literary texts or texts excerpts of different genres and periods.
2) Commentary of selected theoretical and doctrinal texts.
3) Text analysis and discussion, both in class and as homework; short oral presentations and team work (to stimulate individual as well as collective work.
At the end of the semester students should be able to:
- deal with the problematics of literature;
- understand the specificity of literary text, namely the aspects concerning its materiality and meaning;
- distinguish between different literary genres and subgenres;
- relate the literary text to its historical and cultural contexts;
- critically analyse and discuss narrative, lyric, and dramatic texts – always supported by adequate literary methodologies and metalanguage.
1) Literature as an artistic expression and as an institution (preliminary reflection).
2) The concept of literary text, its models and conventions. Literary modes and genres. Modern hybridity.
3) Literary discourse: how does the literary text “communicate”?
The uses and figures of language; the plasticity of the signifier; polysemic forms of speech.
4) Text, context and intertext.
5) Mimesis: the possible worlds of fictionality.
6) Interpretation and analysis of key texts.
Maria Helena Jacinto Santana
Mini Tests: 25.0%
Aristóteles (2003). Poética. Trad. E. Sousa. Lisboa: Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda.
Biblos. Enciclopédia Verbo das Literaturas de Língua Portuguesa. (Vols. 1-5). (1995-2001). Lisboa: Editorial Verbo.
Eco, U. (1995). Seis Passseios nos Bosques da Ficção. Lisboa: Difel.
Matos, M. V. L. (2001). Introdução aos Estudos Literários. Lisboa: Verbo.
Padgett, R. (1987). The Teachers and Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms. New York: Teachers and Writers Collaborative.
Ryan, M.-L. (Ed.) (2004). Narrative Across Media. The Languages of Storytelling. Lincoln: U. Nebraska Press.
Reis, C. & LOPES, A. C. M. (1987). Dicionário de Narratologia. Coimbra: Almedina.
Reis, C. (1995). O Conhecimento da Literatura. Coimbra: Almedina.
Segre, C. (1999). Introdução à Análise do Texto Literário. Lisboa: Estampa.
Silva, V. M. A. (1984). Teoria da Literatura. Coimbra: Almedina.
Sousa, C.M. & Ribeiro, E. (Eds.) (2004). Antologia da Poesia Experimental Portuguesa. Coimbra: Angelus Novus.