PhD in Environmental Engineering
General Objectives of the CourseThis cycle of study aims to provide to the students, both national and international: i) a solid institutional framework, methodology and advanced scientific training in the Environmental Engineering; ii) the ability to carry out high quality scientific work and integrate them in the relevant international networks of knowledge; iii) the close collaboration between research centers of excellence in this area, with industry and with professional organizations.iv) develop some personal skills, including: the scientific spirit, creativity,
critical sense and responsibility, ability to learn independently, ability to interact and work in groups and in interdisciplinary teams, communication skills, self-exigency, ecumenism and enhancement of cultural knowledge .
Legal Requirements: All applicants must meet the rules on access qualifications set out in Article 58 of the Regulamento Académico (Academic Regulations) from the University of Coimbra (RAUC).
Criteria for selection and ranking: The selection and ranking will be based on the following elements: academic and professional curriculum; Adequacy of training for 1st cycle and 2nd cycle to the requirements of the considered 3rd cycle; statement of intent and motivation; Letters of recommendation;Evaluation tests of knowledge and skills; Interview.
After the selection process, candidates may be admitted, not admitted, and put on a waiting list. The admittance of a candidate may be subject to obtaining approval in some courses. The inclusion of a candidate on the waiting list may be subject to identical conditions.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsResearch laboratories
Public institutions and companies
Mode of StudyDay time schedule
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese or English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe completion of the Doctoral Programme in Environmental Engineering will allow students to acquire the following knowledge, skills, and competences:
(1) Advanced knowledge of the contemporary in Environmental Engineering.
This program will train human resources in the field of engineering so that they can analyse complex environmental problems, taking into account their ecological, social, economic and technological aspects in an integrated manner. In addition, and more importantly, they should be able to devise more efficient and sustainable solutions to these problems. Given the increasing demands of society in this area, it is essential that companies, the state and even non-governmental organizations should have highly qualified technicians and researchers at their disposal.
(2) Advanced skills to develop research contributing to the expansion of knowledge, while respecting the requirements of academic quality and integrity.
(3) Advanced skills to analyze from a critical perspective, assess, and summarize new and complex concepts.
(4) Advanced competences to communicate scientific results to their peers, other members of the academic community, and the general public.
(5) Advanced competences to promote technological, social, and cultural progress both in an academic and/or a professional context. Besides these skills of specific nature related with Environmental Engineering, the strategies, the adopted teaching methods and the evaluation processes of the curricular units may also provide the students other types of competences uselful from the personal and civic points of view and also the communication capability with either expert or general publics, the autonomous learning, criticism and sense of responsibility,information management, cooperation with groups or multidisciplinary teams, etc. The procedure used to evaluate the degree of fulfillment of the educational objectives consists mainly of the
results of the enquiries to students and teachers, the results and monitorization of the approval rates and the feedback from employers.
Ana Maria César Bastos Silva
Maria da Conceição Morais de Oliveira Cunha
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Paulo Jorge Rodrigues Amado Mendes
Recognition of Prior LearningAccreditation of prior learning is possible based on proof of previous attainment of learning outcomes
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law 74/2006 of 24 March, republished on June 25, 2008 as amended by Decree-Law No. 107/2008, and pursuant to Decree - Law No. 42 / 22 February 2005, and Order No. 10543 / 2005 s and 7287 -B/2006, respectively, on May 11 and March 31.
Public defense of a PhD thesis.
Access to Further StudiesNot Applicable
3rd Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 5133
Qualification Awarded: Doutor
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Annual Fee: 2750.0
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2019
End date: 21-12-2019
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2020
End date: 30-05-2020
- 2015-03-03 a 2021-03-02