Master’s degree in Teaching English and another Foreign Language (7-12)
General Objectives of the CourseThe aim of the program is to train highly qualified teachers who are able to perform their duties with rigour and professional competence, and who have
1) solid skills and knowledge in their subject area as well as in foundational areas of education and subject specific didactics, so that they are able to understand processes of teaching and learning and use appropriate methodologies and materials;
2) the ability to apply knowledge and skills in their subject area to specific school settings, in accordance with pedagogical principles;
3) an awareness of the social, ethical and civic dimension of teaching in general and their discipline in particular, and critical and self-reflective skills that enable them to act in an informed manner in school settings and in civil society;
4) communicative competence in various relevant situations;
5) an awareness of the changes that occur in their subject areas and in pedagogy and of the need for constant professional development in these areas.
1. According to Decree Law 79/2014, applicants must meet the following requirements:
1a) Hold a bachelor's degree or one of the qualifications mentioned in paragraphs a) to c) of Art. 17.1 of Decree Law 115/2013;
1b) Have earned, within that degree or other higher education degrees, a minimum of 80-100 credits in the area of English and 60-80 credits in the area of one of the other foreign languages (German, Spanish or French);
1c) Obtain a passing grade in an oral and written examination on Portuguese language proficiency and logical argumentation.
2. Candidates who fulfill requirements 1a) and 1c) but not 1b) may apply if they have earned 75% of the necessary credits.
3. Candidates who fulfill requirements 1b) and 1c) but not 1a) may also apply if they have an academic or professional CV which is recognized as attesting to their ability to undertake this master’s program.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsStudents who complete the program obtain certification for teaching in elementary and secondary schools (7-12), specifically in the areas of French (code 320), English (code 330), German (code 340) or Spanish (code 350). At the end of the program, they will have acquired the competences needed for culture-related activities in inter- and transcultural settings.
Mode of StudyDaytime, full-time and face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese, English, French, Spanish and German
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever the grade comprises more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsStudents are expected to:
- deepen and consolidate the knowledge and skills acquired in the bachelor’s program in English and other Foreign Languages (i.e., German, Spanish or French) particularly in what concerns the subjects that are relevant for teaching in elementary and secondary schools;
- apply the knowledge obtained in lesson planning and execution, providing pedagogic and didactic justifications that take into account the teaching-learning process, curriculum guidelines, age levels and other relevant factors;
- understand the social, ethical and civic dimension of teaching; develop the critical and self-reflective skills that are needed to respond to new and complex situations; be able to act in school settings and beyond;
- be able to participate and communicate in the school community;
- recognize the need for constant professional development in their subject area and in pedagogy- and didactics-related issues in order to enhance their teaching practice.
Ana Alexandra Ribeiro Luís
Judite Manuela Silva Nogueira Carecho
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the following decree laws: 74/2006, of 24 March, altered by 107/2008, of 25 June, 115/2013, of 7 August, and 79/2014, of 14 May
The degree will be awarded to students who have earned the total number of credits, after having obtained approval in:
a) all courses defined for this MA program;
b) the public defense of the action-research report presented at the end of the 2nd year.
c) in the case referred to in numbers 5 and 6 of Art. 18 of Decree-Law 79/2014, the degree is awarded to those who meet all of the minimum entry requirements as well as the conditions specified in paragraphs a) and b).
Access to Further StudiesPhD degree studies.
- Specialization in French as a Foreing Language
- Specialization in German as a Foreing Language
- Specialization in Spanish as a Foreing Language
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: M808
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2019
End date: 21-12-2019
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2020
End date: 30-05-2020
- 2015-07-26 a 2018-07-25