Information Systems Management
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Detailed description of concepts, principles, methodologies and best practices used to manage information systems in organizations. Presentation and discussion of case studies to illustrate the practical importance of methodologies.
Resolution of practical exercises and exploration of case studies which require the combination and association of concepts presented in theoretical classes. Fostering of critical thinking in the presence of more intricate problems.
Nowadays, Information Systems (IS) play an important role to support strategic and operational objectives in organizations. In this context, their implementation and management are of capital importance. This course explains to students the main concepts, principles, and methodologies required to manage IS in organizations. It also provides the necessary competencies in synthesis, written communication, problem solving, critical reasoning, and practical application of knowledge in areas such as IT governance and standard management frameworks such as ITIL and COBIT.
1. Managing the Information Systems Function
Evolution of the information systems function; types of structures; main activities.
2. Managing Information Systems Staff
Concepts; policies; models; methodologies.
3. Policies of Information Security and Privacy
Concepts; best practices; standards; regulations.
4. Quality and Maturity of Information Systems
Strategy and management; process; product; standards; models.
5. IT Governance Concepts
Strategic alignment; value generation; risk management; resource management; performance measurement.
6. Service Management
Concepts; service delivery; support services; service strategy; transition of services; improvement of services; ITIL.
7. Control and Monitoring
Connecting strategy to operations; critical processes; key performance indicators; COBIT.
Jacinto Paulo Simões Estima
Synthesis work: 10.0%
• Laudon, Kenneth C., and Jane Price Laudon. Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm. 15th Edition, Pearson, 2018.
• Morris, Helen, and Liz Gallacher. ITIL Intermediate Certification Companion Study Guide: Intermediate ITIL Service Capability Exams. John Wiley & Sons, 2017.
• Harmer, Geoff. Governance of enterprise IT based on COBIT 5: a management guide. IT Governance Ltd, 2014.