Network Modeling and Performance
Communication, Services and Infrastructure
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
BsC in Informatics Engineering or similar.
Theoretical classes with detailed explanation, using audiovisual media, of concepts, fundamentals and theories, complemented with practical exercises for application of the theoretical knowledge.
Practical classes to perform simulation studies, model creation and practical exercises.
The main objective of this course is the study of methodologies for modeling and performance evaluation of communication networks. The course addresses fundamentals of probability theory and stochastic processes from the perspective of modeling and performance analysis of communication systems. This course also addresses simulation methodologies for the performance analysis of communication systems.
The students will acquire knowledge about fundamentals on modeling and network performance analysis, obtaining capabilities for the analysis and design of models of communication systems components. Students will acquire decision making capabilities in the selection and use of methodologies for modeling and performance evaluation of communication systems, being able to justify the options taken, as well as to express and explain the results obtained.
1. Methodologies for performance evaluation of communication systems.
2. Simulation modelling of communication systems: objectives, requierements and approaches; simulaitom model creation; validation, analysis and presentation of results
3. Techniques for traffic classification and characterization: inspection and statistical analysis; characterization parameters
4. Analytical modelling: links and traffic; queuing theory
5. Performance analsysis of real systems: prototypes and production networks.
Mini Tests: 15.0%
Performance Analysis of Complex Networks and Systems, Piet Van Mieghem, Cambridge Press, 2014.
Modeling and Tools for Network Simulation, Klaus Wehrle, Mesut Günes, James Gross, 2010.
In addition to the basic references, references including recent papers and standards will be provided.