Communication Systems Fundamentals
Communication, Services and Infrastructure
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Knowledge of communication systems.
- Presentations and discussion of the course topics
- Used to clarify questions and solve exercises. Students should work individually, outside the classroom, on the exercises previously distributed.
The main objectives of this discipline are to study the fundamentals of communication systems, with emphasis on digital communication systems. Topics include modulation and transmission of signals, transmission and switching systems, as well as signaling aspects in digital systems. This discipline deals with aspects of systems related to fixed or mobile networks and satellites, and to the transmission of voice and video signals. The course also covers the fundamentals of communication protocols related to error control, flow control, and protocol specification.
Students will gain skills in the following areas:
- Models of analog and digital communication systems
- Various forms of analog and digital communication
- Commitments underlying digital communication
- Principles of data transmission
- Principles of specification and operation of communication protocols.
1. Communication systems fundamentals
2. Communication media
3. Modulation and sampling
4. Data transmission
5. Flow and error control
6.Communication protocols basics.
Edmundo Heitor da Silva Monteiro
- Fred Halsall, Computer Networking and the Internet, Addison Wesley
- Roger Freeman, Fundamentals of Telecommunications, Wiley
- Simon Haykin, Digital Communications, John Wiley & Sons
- Bruce Carlson, Communication Systems: An Introduction to Signals and Noise in Electrical Communication, McGraw-Hill.