Communication Systems Fundamentals
Communication, Services and Infrastructure
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
BsC in Informatics Engineering or similar.
Classical theoretical classes (no slides); TPs for exercises.
The key objectives of this course are the study of the foundations of transmission and switching systems. Topics include modulation and transmission of signals, transmission and switching systems, and aspects of signaling in digital systems. The course discusses system aspects related with fixed or mobile networks and satellite, transmission of voice and video signals. The course also covers the fundamentals of communications protocols like error control, flow control and protocol specification
The student will gain skills for decision making in the following areas:
-How to integrate communication systems
-What are the implications / advantages / disadvantages of the various forms of digital modulation
-What are the consequences and limitations of various formats for data
Self-learning includes the study, understanding, specification and development of new communication systems, and will serve as the basis for the deepening and understanding of advanced topics in communication systems
1. Communication fundamentals
2. Modulation and sampling
3. Data transmission
4. Flow and error control
5. Communication protocols basics.
Edmundo Heitor da Silva Monteiro
- Fred Halsall, Computer Networking and the Internet (5th edition), Addison Wesley.
- Roger Freeman, Fundamentals of Telecommunications (2nd edition), Wiley..
- Simon Haykin, Digital Communications, John Wiley & Sons
- Bruce Carlson, Communication Systems: An Introduction to Signals and Noise in Electrical Communication (3rd ed.), McGraw-Hill.