Robotics and Manipulation Project
Electrical and Computer Engineering
3rd Cycle Studies
Mathematics, Physics (Mechanics), Control, Programming.
A combination of the following methods will be employed: project consisting of research and synthesis about a subject and/or working out of practical assignments consisting of simulation and/or real implementation.
In this course it will be acquired the skills required to understand and apply the fundamental concepts concerning robotic systems, namely the following topics: components and subsystems, description of the motion of a rigid body, kinematics of robot manipulators, robot manipulator dynamics, robot control, kinematics of multi-fingered hands, non-holonomic behaviour in robotic systems, non-holonomic motion planning, sensors, programming and simulation, future perspectives. It is a general course in the area of robotic manipulators and manipulation.
Acquiring competencies in analysis and synthesis, autonomous learning, practical application of theoretical knowledge, solving problems, critical reasoning, adaptivity to new situations, creativity.
Introduction to robotic systems. Components and subsystems. Description of the motion of a rigid body. Manipulator kinematics. Robot dynamics. Robot control. Multi-fingered hand kinematics. Non-holonomic behaviour in robotic systems. Non-holonomic motion planning. Sensors. Programming and simulation. Future perspectives.
Rui Alexandre de Matos Araújo
Evaluation consists of research work and/or laboratory or field work with a weight of 50% on the final mark, and synthesis work with a weight of 50% on the final mark: 100.0%
• Murray, R.M., Li, Z., and Sastry S.S. (1994) – A Mathematical Introduction to Robotic Manipulation, CRC Press.
• McKerrow, P.J. (1991), Introduction to Robotics, Addison-Wesley, Sydney, Australia, 1991.
• Schilling, R.J. (1990) – Fundamentals of Robotics: Analysis and Control, Prentice-Hall.
• Craig, J.J. (2005) – Introduction to Robotics: Mechanics and Control, Third edition, Pearson Education.
• Mark W. Spong, M.W., Hutchinson, S., and Vidyasagar, M. (2006) – Robot Modeling and Control, John Wiley & Sons.
• Sciavicco, L., Siciliano, B. (2000) – Modelling and Control of Robot Manipulators, Springer-Verlag.