Structures II, Concrete structures, Steel structures and Foundations
Theoretical lectures: Presentation of theoretical concepts, regulatory models and illustrative examples using oral and audio-visual media.
Practical lectures: Autonomous work of students in computer lab with teacher's guidance and discussion of the design project.
Visit to a construction site of a bridge.
To provide students with the necessary knowledge to carry out a bridge design and detail.
1) Characterization and classification of bridges.
2) Specific characteristics of the static behavior of bridges and their consequences for the modeling, analysis and verification of safety.
3) Bridge decks. Most common configurations. Main characteristics of cross sections of road and railway bridges. Footbridges.
4) Design of bridges.
5) Rules for the design and verification of safety of bridges. Eurocodes.
6) Verification of structural safety. General principles.
7) Decks with pre-stressed concrete girders
8) Box-girder decks.
9) Slab decks.
10) Construction methods of pre-stressed concrete bridges.
11) Composite steel-concrete decks.
12) Design of columns and abutments. Design of the connection between deck and columns/ abutments.
Oral exam: 40.0%
Design project: 60.0%
− EN 1990 - Basis of structural design.
− EN 1991 - Eurocode 1 – Actions on structures. Part 2 : Traffic loads on bridges.
− EN 1992 - Eurocode 2 – Design of concrete structures. Part 2 : Concrete bridges - Design and detailing rules.
− EN 1993 - Eurocode 3 – Design of steel structures. Part 2: Steel bridges.
− EN 1994 - Eurocode 4 – Design of composite steel and concrete str. Part 2: General rules and rules for bridges.