Engineering Systems, Road design, Environmental impact assessment
Lectures with the help of audiovisual media where concepts, principles and theories are presented in detail. Practical exercises that meet all the needs of students are solved, with guidelines provided.
Assessment of students involves the undertaking of individual assignments including the production and hand-in of the respective reports, and oral presentation subjected to questions where knowledge transmitted during the course is also evaluated.
Presenting sound principles and developing high-level skills of management and evaluation of large civil engineering projects. That includes: engineering economics, environmental evaluation, cost-benefit analysis and multicriteria analysis.
Presenting scientific methods of project evaluation, including:
- engineering economics
- environmental evaluation
- cost-benefit analysis
- multicriteria analysis.
Awareness of the need to consider sustainability concerns in all civil engineering projects.
Development of skills aimed at using adequate project evaluation methods and software.
Development of skills related to adequate oral and written communication.
Principles of project management - a systematic approach. The modern challenges of project management (e.g., sustainability and sustainable development). The project team structure. The Project manager functions.
Methodologies for evaluating civil engineering projects taking into consideration their typical characteristics: large-scale, long-lived, involving many economic, financial, social, and environmental dimensions.
Financial evaluation. Cost-Benefit analysis. Environmental evaluation. Multicriteria evaluation.
Analysis of major civil engineering projects. Project subsystems and structure. Resources and costs. Time planning. Financial planning. Resource planning. Project control techniques. Cost, time and performance control. Cash-flow control. Resource flow management. Integrated project management techniques. Project management software. Computer-based simulation of project examples.
Case study report, oral presentation & discussion: 35.0%
- Abecassis,F; Cabral,N. - Análise Económica e Financeira de Projectos, 4ª ed., Fund. Calouste Gulbenkian, 2008.
- Coutinho-Rodrigues, J. - Aplicações da Teoria de Sistemas - 6ª ed., Ediliber, 2009.
- Coutinho-Rodrigues, J. - Gestão de Empreendimentos - A Componente de Gestão da Engenharia, Ediliber, 2003.
- Kerzner, H. - Project Management - A Systems Approach to Planning, Sched. and Controlling,10th ed.Wiley, 2009.
- Meredith, J.; S.Manter - Project Management: A Managerial Approach, Wiley, 8th ed., 2011.
- Project Management Institute - A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMI, 2008.
- Revelle, C.; E.Whitlatch; J. Wright. - Civil and Environmental Systems Engineering, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Revelle, C.; A.McGarity - Design and Operation of Civil and Environmental Engineering Systems, Wiley, 1997.
- Schwalb, K. - Introduction to Project Management, 2nd ed., Cengage Learning, 2008.
- Twort, A.; J.Rees - Civil Engineering Project Management, 4rd ed., 2004.