Strength of Materials I, Strength of Materials II, Theory of Structures I, Theory of Structures II
Theoretical lectures: Presentation of theoretical concepts, normative models and illustrative examples presented orally and using audio-visual resources.
Mixed theoretical/practical lectures: Supervised work for the 4 assignments.
Practical lecture: Supervised laboratory work.
Field trip: visit to steelwork companies and construction works
- An overview of the complexity involved in the field of steel and composite structures.
-Understanding of theoretical models and regulations applicable to the analysis and design of steel structures.
- Specific knowledge of European regulations on the design of steel and composite structures - Eurocodes 3 and 4.
-Ability to apply theoretical knowledge in solving problems related to analysis and design of steel and composite structures.
- Capability of written exposure.
1. Structural analysis (1.0 ECTS) – Global analysis of steel structures; first-order analysis / second-order analysis; structural stability; imperfections; behaviour of connections; cross-section classification; choice of method of analysis.
2. Design of Steel Members (2.5 ECTS) – Tension; Plasticity; Bending and shear in restrained members; torsion; buckling; compression; lateral-torsional buckling; unrestrained beams; bending and axial force.
3. Design of joints (2.0 ECTS) – bolted joints; welded joints; component method; moment resisting joints.
4. Introduction to the design of steel-concrete composite structures (0.5 ECTS) – shear connection; composite beams.
Exam (using eurocodes), with a duration of 3h: 100.0%
Continuous evaluation: Course assignements + Exam: 100.0%
-Simões, R., Manual de Dimensionamento de Estruturas Metálicas, 2nd ed., CMM Press, Coimbra, 2007.
-Simões da Silva, L, Simões, R. and Gervásio, H., Design of steel structures, ECCS Press & Ernst & Sohn, Brussels, 2010.
-Santos, F. e Simões da Silva, L., Manual de Execução de Estruturas Metálicas, CMM Press, Coimbra, 2011.
-Simões da Silva, L. e Santiago, A. (eds.), “Manual de Ligações Metálicas”, cmm, Coimbra (2003).
-Faella, C., Piluso, V. and Rizzano, G., Structural steel semirigid connections: theory, design and software. CRC Press LLC, 2000.
-Johnson, R.P., Composite structures of steel and concrete: Vol 1: Beams, columns, frames and applications in buildings, 3rd edition, Blackwell, Oxford, 2004.
-Reis, A e Camotim, D., Estabilidade Estrutural, McGraw-Hill de Portugal, Lisboa, 2000.
- Chen, W.F. & Lui, E.M., Structural stability - Theory and implementation, Elsevier, New York, 1987.
-CEN, Eurocode 3 and 4