2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
T classes are presential formal lessons of key themes that integrate the syllabus, in which will be taught the basic concepts and stimulate discussion on its importance for the future Master. Are supported by examples of components manufacturing of high mediatic impact.
TP classes consist of groups working on specific problems and have as main objective the assumption of responsibility for individual and collective in the tasks and deadlines to be achieved. Proactive stance by the students will be encouraged during these group working.
Develop skills related with the processing and the selection of materials manufacture technologies, function of the project/application and the materials type available.
Acquiring abilities to relate the materials final properties with the process parameters.
1. Processing of Metals and Alloys: A) from casting to electron beam melting and plasma; morphologies and solidification defects ; rapid solidification ; manufacture of alloys, amalgams , B) forging , rolling , extrusion , C) Finishing techniques ; D) Processing parameters on the macro -micro - and nano - structure.
2. Processing of Ceramics and Glass: the powder characteristics: shape, size and structure; wet conformation : mixtures ceramic slurry with water and polymers; forming porous walls mold; injection and extrusion; sol-gel; dry powder conformation: the role of pressing on the final properties; sintering process.
3. Processing of Polymers: preparation of raw materials; tube extrusion and film, calendering; injection molding , compression and blow molding , molding with the reaction.
4. Processing of Composites : pultrusion , resin transfer molding , filament winding ; infiltration.
5. Processing of Biological materials: collagen; biological modification of surfaces
Cristina Maria Gonçalves dos Santos
Resolution Problems: 10.0%
Synthesis work: 20.0%
Report of a seminar or field trip: 20.0%
Mini Tests: 50.0%
Introduction to Materials Engineering and Science, Brian S. Mitchell, Wiley-Interscience, 2004
Metals and Materials, R.E.Smallman and R.J: Bishop, Butterrworth Heinemann, 1995
Materials Selector, N.A. Waterman and F. Sabih, Elsevier, 1991.