Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Analysis of electric circuits
Theoretical classes, using audiovisual aids, with detailed presentation of the concepts, principles and fundamental theories. Lectures for solving practical exercises that allow the consolidation of concepts that require a combination of different theoretical principles and promote critical thinking about the operation of different energy converters.
Laboratory classes with implementation of experimental or simulation works, including treatment and interpretation of results. Accomplishment of a small hardware or software project with report delivery is also required.
The aim of this course is to give students some skills about the main electric vehicle systems and its integration into microgrids. Particular emphasis will be given to the design of power electronics converters used for tractio and for energy transfer to batteries charging, as well as those used for the integration of electric vehicles into microgrids.
At the end of this course unit students should identify the power electronics converters associated with the electric vehicle, some digital control platforms, the complementary hardware for reading and conditioning of sensor signals, as well as perform the integration of the electric vehicle into a microgrid.
1. Vehicle Electrification: Introduction and Definition; Full-Electric Vehicles; Charging Options and Infrastructure.
2. Charging Architectures for Electric Vehicles; Onboard Chargers; Off-Board Chargers; Charging Standards; Control Schemes for Charging Converters.
3. Charging Systems; Direct connection; Wireless transfer; Working principle; Inductive and capacitive systems; Resonance Circuits; Static transfer; Dynamic transfer.
4. Battery Technologies for Transportation Applications; Battery Technologies; Battery Parameters; Battery Management and Charging Methods.
5. Microgrids; Definition of Microgrid; AC Microgrid; DC Microgrid; AC v DC Microgrids
6. Power electronic transformer; Characteristics and applications; Transformer for DC; Serial connection; Parallel connection; Transformer for AC; Types of topologies and operation
André Manuel dos Santos Mendes
1. “Technologies and Applications for Smart Charging of Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles”, O. Veneri and A. G., Springer International Publishing (2017).
 “Wireless power transfer for electric vehicles and mobile devices”, C. T. Rim and C. Mi, IEEE Press / Wiley (2017)..