Geological Structures and Geophysical Interpretation
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Structural Geology; Geophysics; Applied Geophysics; Stratigraphy.
- Theoretical classes with detailed explanation, using audiovisual media, scattered throughout the semester, in line with the practical classes;
- Resolution of theoretical and practical exercises related to the topics addressed;
- Resolution of practical exercises with computer support.
1.Identify the main geological structures related to hydrocarbons;
2.Recognize the application of the various geophysical methods in the study of sedimentary;
3.Recognize and understand the physical principles that form the basis of geophysical methods;
4.Modeling of geophysical data and identify and interpret geological structures;
5.Select the best suited geophysical prospecting methods to situations which arose;
6.Choose the most favorable sampling grid;
7.Relate the geophysical methods with geostructural models;
8.Recognize the existence of ambiguities in the interpretation of geophysical / structural models
9. Learn to communicate in written and oral form, information on examples of geological structures and data processing methods and geophysical interpretation, using bibliographic sources and appropriate analysis methodologies
10. Understand the geological characteristics of the sedimentary basins and the geophysical methods used in data collection and in interpretation models.
1.Geological structures and contexts
2.Seismic Reflection prospecting
2.1.2-D and 3-D data acquisition
2.3.Seismic stratigraphy interpretation
2.4.Structural geological interpretation
2.5.Construction and interpretation of isobaths and isopach maps
2.6.Ambiguity of interpretation
3.1.Absolute and relative measures of gravity
3.5.Bouguer, regional and residual anomalies
3.6.Gravitational effects of simple geometry bodies, 2-D and 3-D bodies
3.7.Interpretation of data
3.8.Ambiguity of interpretation
3.9.Calculation of mass excess
3.11. Gravity and isostasy
4. Magnetic prospecting
4.1. Earth's magnetic field
4.2. Magnetic susceptibility of rocks
4.3. Magnetic field measurements and magnetic gradient
4.4. Magnetic effects of simple geometry bodies
4.5. Interpretation of data
5. Well-logs, application and typology.
Fernando Carlos da Silva Coelho Lopes
Report of a seminar or field trip: 10.0%
Laboratory work or Field work: 15.0%
Resolution Problems: 20.0%
Mini Tests: 20.0%
Dobrin, M. B. E Savit, C. H., (1988) -Introduction To Geophysical Prospecting. Mcgraw-Hill Internacional Editions.
Garland, G. D. (1979) -Introduction To Geophysics. 2ª Ed., W. B. Saunders Company, Filadelfia, E.U.A.
Henry, G. (1997) -Geophysics For Sedimentary Basins. Éditions Technip, Paris, França.
Letouzey, J., Colletta, B., Vially, R., Chermette, J.C., 1996. Evolution Of Salt-Related Structures In Compressional
Settings. In M. P. A. Jackson, D. G. Roberts And S. Snelson (Eds.), Salt Tectonics: A Global Perspective.AAPG
Mitchum, R.M., Jr., Vail, P.R., 1977. Seismic Stratigraphy And Global Changes Of Sea-Level. Part. 7: Seismic
Stratigraphic Interpretation Procedure. In C.E. Payton (Eds.), Seismic Stratigraphy-Application To Hydrocarbon
Exploration,A.A.P.G. Memoire26, 135-143.
Mitchum, R.M., Jr. Vail, P.R., Sangree, J.B., 1977. Seismic Stratigraphy And Global Changes Of Sea-Level. Part.6:
Stratigraphic Interpretation Of Seismic Reflection Patterns In Depositional.