Seminar of Atlantic Basins Geology II
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Seminar of Atlantic Basins GeologyI.
- Theoretical-practical lectures and seminars to introduce the case of studies and to present examples of previous works that happen in the beginning and mid of semester. The bibliographic analysis of the case of study will be done by student with supervision by teacher.
- Field work; part of this work will be done autonomously by student.
- Analysis and discussion of all obtained information individually by each student will be done in the end of semester.
With this course it is intended that students:
1) Analyze different cases of study from Atlantic sedimentary basins, among stratigraphic, sedimentological, tectonic, modeling and other issues;
2) Develop work of diverse data acquisition in different basins according to bibliographic analysis and field work;
3) Try to integrate all available information in conceptual models.
1) Collection of different levels and types of geological information
2) Field work in basins with different geodynamic histories
3) Application of conceptual tools:
a) Definition and comparison of lithofacies, biofacies and seismic facies
b) Definition of reference horizons
c) Identification of anoxic levels and events
d) Sequence stratigraphy analysis
e) Subsidence analysis
f) Palaeogeographic reconstructions
4) Development and discussion of models in the basins evolution.
Luís Vítor da Fonseca Pinto Duarte
Laboratory work or Field work: 35.0%
Synthesis work: 65.0%
A bibliografia irá constar essencialmente de artigos científicos do vasto leque de publicações do Science Citation Index/ The bibliography will consist mainly of scientific papers from journals of Science Citation Index.