Geological and Mining Engineering
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Theoretical and practical classes.
Resolution of theoretical and practical exercises.
Development of laboratory activities.
Development of field observations and tests.
The course aims to give students skills:
- To characterize and classify natural water bodies, surface and groundwater
- To set exploration-evaluation plans and built projects and structures for water catchments
- To assess and evaluated impacts of human activities on water bodies
- To develop protection and recovery-remediation plans
- To integrate teams for a sustainable management of water bodies
- To integrate teams of environmental management and land planning.
1. The natural water bodies, surface and groundwater
2. Techniques and study levels of water bodies:
Hydrochemistry - Quality
3. Surface water
Surface retention and flow. Drainage basins
Surface water exploitation
4. The water in the unsaturated zone
5. Groundwater and Aquifers (units and systems)
Aquifers in porous, karst, crystalline and volcanic terrains
Aquifers in Portugal
6. Sustainable management of natural water bodies
7. Impacts resulting from human activities. Water contamination
8. Remediation recovery and protection measures
Laboratory work or Field work: 10.0%
Resolution Problems: 30.0%
Appelo CAJ and Postma D (2005) GEOCHEMISTRY, GROUNDWATER AND POLLUTION. 2nd ed. A.A.Balkema
Publishers, Leiden. 649p.
Domenico, P.A. e Schwartz, F.W. (1990) PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL HYDROGEOLOGY – Ed. John Wiley & Sons,
New York, 506p.
Fetter, C.W. (2001) APPLIED HYDROGEOLOGY. Prentice Hall. 4th ed. 598p.
Freeze, A.R. & Cherry, J.A. (1979) GROUNDWATER – Ed. Prentice-Hall, NY, 604p.
Matthess & J.C. Harvey (1982) THE PROPERTIES OF GROUNDWATER - Ed: John Wiley & Sons. 406 pp.
Delleur J.W. (Ed) (2007) THE HANDBOOK OF GROUNDWATER ENGINEERING. Boca Raton, CRC Press.
Sanders; L.L. - (1998) A MANUAL OF FIELD HYDROGEOLOGY. Ed: Prentice Hall. New Jersey. 380 p.
Weight, W.D. & Sonderegger, J.L. (2001) MANUAL OF APPLIED FIELD HYDROGEOLOGY. - Ed. McGraw-Hill, 608p.
Singhal, B.B.S. & Gupta, R.P. (1999) APPLIED HYDROGEOLOGY OF FRACTURED ROCKS. – Ed. Kluwer Acad