Advanced Machine Learning
Advanced Computational Methods
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probabilities and Statistics, Introduction to Machine Learning, Programming
During the lectures (T) the concepts, the theories, the algorithms will be presented and discussed. In the lan classes (PL) students will consolidate what was learned in T. The practical work will be done under the supervision of the teacher. Grading will be based on three components: (1) study and a written synthesis of a research paper; (2) a small project involving the techniques and/or a practical problem; (3) a written exam to assess students' knowledge about the subject of ML.
This course will present and discuss with rigor the most recent algorithmic advances in machine learning, including ensembles, deep learning and evolutionary machine learning. Moreover, some other important aspects like feature engineering and the design of experiments and data analysis will be discussed.
By the end of the course, the student will have a general overview and a practical experience on how to transform data into knowledge, and will master the most recent techniques of machine learning. He/she will be capable of design, implement, test and validate solutions for real world problems that require machine learning.
Last but not the least, the student will consolidate his/her communicational competences of analysis and synthesis, written and spoken, and of group work.
1. Introduction: the data science problem
2. Fundamentals Algorithms
3. Ensembles: bagging, random forests, boosting, stacking
4. Features: transformations, construction, selection
5. Reinforcement Learning
6. Deep Learning
7. Evolutionary Machine Learning
8. Design of Experiments and Data Analysis
Ernesto Jorge Fernandes Costa
Research work: 10.0%
- Peter Flach, Machine Learning: the art and science of algorithms that make sense of data, Cambridge University Press,2012.
- Ethem Alpaydin, Introduction to Machine Learning (2nd Edition), MIT Press. 2010.
- Richard S. Sutton and Andrew G. Barto, Reinforcement Learning: an introduction (2nd Edition), MIT Press, 2018.
- Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio and Aaron Courville, Deep Learning, MIT Press 2016.
- Hitoshi Iba, Evolutionary Approaches to Machine Learning and Deep Neural Networks, Springer, 2018.