2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
This course is primarily based on theoretical-practical classes where the fundamental concepts of metrology and precision measurement in several domains are presented using realistic and practical examples whenever possible.
Complementarily, support tools and application examples related with the presented topics are introduced and explored in the lab exercises.
The final grading comprises a written open-book exam and the exercises of the lab classes, considering that the last lab may be a short monography on metrology topic.
Knowledge of the fundamental concepts and standards of metrology.
Knowledge of the statistics of the measurement process.
Ability to calculate the uncertainty associated with a measurement result.
Knowledge of the parameters and methods associated with precision metrology in several domains.
1. General introduction to metrology
2. International System of Units (SI)
3. Significant figures
4. Measurement statistics
Basic parameters: average, median and deviations. Normal and t-Student distributions.
5. Measuring and test equipment specifications
Measurement accuracy and precision. Repeatability and reproducibility. Linearity.
6. Measurement error
7. Instrument verification and calibration
Calibration program: procedures, standards, and certificates. Measuring instrument and process calibration. Calibration intervals. Proficiency testing.
8. Standards and calibration laboratories
9. Dimensional metrology
10. Mass metrology
11. Temperature metrology
12. Time and frequency metrology
13. Electromagnetic metrology
14. Optical radiation metrology.
João Manuel Rendeiro Cardoso
Synthesis work: 15.0%
Laboratory work or Field work: 35.0%
1. The Metrology Handbook, Jay Bucher, editor. ASQ Quality Press, 2004.
2. Vocabulário Internacional de Metrologia, IPQ, 2005
3. International vocabulary of metrology – Basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM), JCGM, 2012
4. ISO 1000:1992 - SI units and recommendations for the use of their multiples and of certain other units
5. ISO 5725-1:1994 - Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results -- Part 1
6. ISO 5725-2:1994 - Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results -- Part 2
7. ISO/TS 21748:2004 - Guidance for the use of repeatability, reproducibility and trueness estimates in measurement uncertainty estimation
8. ISO/TS 21749:2005 - Measurement uncertainty for metrological applications -- Repeated measurements and nested experiments
9. ISO/TR 22971:2005 - Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results 10. ISO Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement, JCGM, 2008.