Remote Sensing and Geographycal Information Systems
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Basic knowledge of physics, geology, cartography and also informatics (in the user's perspective).
Lectures: oral presentations of concepts and methodologies using audiovisual media to facilitate understanding of the knowledge of the subject. Practical: application of theoretical knowledge to practical problems through the collection, analysis and processing of geo-spatial information using adequate methods and techniques, particularly GIS software, for organizing, analyzing, modeling and visualization of geo-spatial data. In this section, students will also do project work based in real data using the software aforementioned, to consolidate the knowledge acquired in the course unit.
The outcomes of this course are as follows:
a) to provide the ability to understand the acquisition of spatial data by Remote Sensing technological systems;
b) to perceive and apply digital geo-spatial processing techniques to such data;
c) to understand the GIS environment as a useful tool to integrate geographic information, and develop the ability to manage, extract, analyze and model the digital data;
d) to apply the above methods to geological and environmental systems.
1. Remote Sensing as a system; its components and the use of the human vision as a natural analogue of the technological system.
2. Image acquisition systems and available space programs of interest for Earth observation.
3. Basic techniques of image processing and digital classification.
4. The GIS environment as a useful tool to integrate geo-spatial data.
5. Techniques of management, extraction, analysis, modeling and visualization of geo-spatial data in a GIS environment.
6. Characterization and monitoring of environmental systems - case studies.
Alcides José Sousa Castilho Pereira
Fonseca, A.D. & Fernandes, J.C. (2004) – Detecção Remota, Lidel, Lisboa, 224 p.
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/fac/rsvlab/fundamentals_e.pdf - Fundamentals of Remote Sensing - A Canada Centre for Remote Sensing Remote Sensing Tutorial
https://www.fas.org/irp/imint/docs/rst/Front/tofc.html - Remote Sensing Tutorial; NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Davis, B.E. (2001) - GIS – a visual approach, 150 p.