Introduction to Communications
1st Cycle Studies
Signals and Systems.
Lectures with presentation and discussion of the course topics using audiovisual resources complemented with the resolution of illustrative exercises. Laboratory classes for a complement of the lectures, by using some educational kits and software tools that will help the students. Preferentially industrial partners will be invited to present the case study.
The objective of this curricular unit is to provide the basic training in communication systems and networks, allowing the students to understand the available technology and the methods to overcome its limitations.
1- Introduction to communications systems
2- Transmission signals and transmission media
3- Sampling and pulse modulation
4- Analog to digital conversion
5- Baseband digital transmission principles
6- Passband digital transmission principles
7- A case study.
Vítor Manuel Mendes da Silva
Laboratory work or Field work: 40.0%
- Ali Grami, Introduction to Digital Communications, Elsevier Academic Press, 2016.
- A. Bruce Carlson, P. Crilly. Communication Systems, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill, 2009.
- W. Stallings. Data and Computer Communications, 10th edition, Pearson, 2014.
- B. P. Lathi, Z. Ding. Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems, 4th edition, Oxford University Press, 2009.
- J. G. Proakis, M. Salehi. Fundamentals of Communication Systems, 2nd edition, Pearson, 2014.
- B. Kumar, Communication System Laboratory, CRC Press, 2016.