Communication Networks Technology
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Communication Networks Engineering
The topics of the syllabus will be presented in detail, in terms of fundamental concepts and principles, complemented by the resolution of practical exercises that will help the students in consolidating their knowledge.
Computational works on the different topics of the syllabus will be performed by the students, with the possibility of an in-depth study of a specific topic by the students, who will then perform an oral presentation of their work, subject to an open discussion (where the participation of the students will be valued).
With this curricular unit, the students are expected to learn about the technologies and protocols in current and emergent networks. Knowledge on the structure of fundamental elements in the networks will be acquired by the students, along with the mechanisms to guarantee the quality of service in networks. MPLS networks will be studied as a technology that allows for the implementation of traffic engineering techniques in networks.
Basic concepts of cloud computing will be studied, so that the students may understand the connections between different components in order to build Data Center Networks.
The students will also gain knowledge on new paradigms in network management and control, namely by introducing the concept of Software Defined Networks. Finally, sensor networks will be studied, providing the students with knowledge regarding their structure and some specific issues in protocols. This curricular unit also analyses the security aspects in the new Internet.
1. TCP/IP model - revisions
2. From the Internet to the Internet of Things
3. New technologies
4. New protocols
5. Quality of Service
6. MPLS networks
7. Concepts of Cloud Computing
8. New paradigms in network management and control
9. Wireless Sensor Networks
Lúcia Maria dos Reis Albuquerque Martins
- O. Hersent, D. Boswarthick, and O. Elloumi, "The Internet of Things: Key Applications and Protocols", John Wiley & Sons, Dec. 2011.
- Cory Beard, William Stallings, "Wireless Communications & Networks An Interactive Approach", Pearson Education, 2015.
- J. Sá Silva, R. Silva e F. Boavida, "Redes de Sensores Sem Fios", FCA – Editora de Informática Lda., Lisboa 2016.
- W. Stallings, Data and Computer Communications, 10th edition, Pearson, 2014.
- M. Barreiros, P. Lundqvist, QoS-Enabled Networks: tools and foundations, 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2016
- Artigos sugeridos pelo professor/documents and papers suggested by the professor