Internet of Things
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Embedded Systems, Real-Time Systems, Computer Networks, Database Systems
Theoretical classes with detailed presentation, using audiovisual tools, of the concepts and principles involved in the IoT, illustrated with practical examples of real-world applications.
Laboratory classes where the practical aspects of the IoT design will be explored, allowing the student to consolidate the theoretical background involved on this field. The student will be involved (alone or in a group) in the project of a real product prototype. All the steps of the development process of a IoT product will be covered
The Internet of Things (IoT) describes the network and data that emerges from adding physical computing components such as sensors, actuators, and network adapters to everyday objects.
This hands-on course introduces this concept to students and invites them to develop skills that will allow them to create connected products. They will be introduced to interactive connected technologies through a series of hands on exercises, collaborative projects, and instructor lectures. The topics explored will include awareness, real-time sensing and communication, embedded intelligence, and designing experiences for the internet of things. By the end of this course, students will be familiar with the core skills, and design process required to build a connected system. Students will apply this learning in collaborative groups to realize a prototype connected device.
Module 1: Interacting with the Physical World
1. Introduction to the Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Interfacing with the Physical World
3. Device Architectures.
4. Operating systems for resource-constrained devices.
Module 2: Fundaments of Communication for IoT
5. Wireless technologies for IoT: (Wi-Fi/IEEE802.11, Bluetooth, RFID, Zigbee/IEEE802.15.4 and/or others considered relevant)
6. Communication Architectures for IoT
7. Security and Privacy
Module 3: Data Processing for IoT
8. Organization of data processing for IoT.
9. Cloud computing and data analytics
Paulo José Monteiro Peixoto
Laboratory work or Field work: 10.0%
Designing the Internet of Things, Adrian McEwen and Hakim Cassimally, Wiley, 2014, ISBN: 978-1-118-43062-0
- The Internet of Things: Key Applications and Protocols, 2nd Edition, Olivier Hersent, David Boswarthick and Omar Elloumi, Wiley, 2012, ISBN: 978-1-119-99435-0
- Collaborative Internet of Things (C-IoT): for Future Smart Connected Life and Business, Fawzi Behmann and Kwok Wu, Wiley, 2015, ISBN: 978-1-118-91374-1