Real Estate Law and Registries Law
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
General knowledge of Private Law and, in particular, General Part of the Civil Code; The Law of Obligations; Land Law.
Lectures. Discussion sessions of themes. Such sessions may take place at the end of the master classes or in the scope of the discussion of papers to be presented by the students. It will be relevant for the evaluation of knowledge to participate in the classes, in the discussion sessions and discussion of the topics and the quality of the seminar.
Students are expected to expand theoretical knowledge of Property Law and real rights.
Students are expected to: acquire theoretical knowledge on the different Notary systems, the Portuguese in particular, as well as the main systems of registration, chiefly the Portuguese land registry and commercial registry.
1. Real Estate Law in general.
- Real rights versus credit rights: theories
- Classification of real rights
- Characteristics of the real rights
- Differences between real rights and credit rights
- Ordering principles in real rights
- Apartment ownership (condominium)
- Security interests, maxime the mortgage
- Main systems of notary
- Notary activity in Portugal: a cursory historical reference
- The statute of Portuguese Notaries
- Nature of the notary function
3. Land Registry
- Registry publicity
- Main systems of land registration
- The Portuguese land law registration system
- Principles of portuguese Registry
- Registry efects.
- Registry defects.
- The process of justification of rights
- Provisional registration of acquisition versus the promissory contract with erga omnes efficacy
Assiduity and participation: 20.0%
Research work: 80.0%
MESQUITA, Henrique - Direitos Reais (sumários das lições ao Curso de 1966-1967.
MESQUITA, Henrique - Obrigações Reais e Ónus Reais, Coimbra, Almedina, 1990.
JARDIM, Mónica - Os Direitos Reais e os Direitos Pessoais de Gozo, Cadernos do CENoR, n. 1, 2013;
JARDIM, Mónica - A Actual Problemática a Propósito do Princípio da Consensualidade, Boletim da Faculdade de Direito, 2014, Tomo I (Separata), p. 179-128.
JARDIM; Mónica - Propriedade horizontal e conjuntos imobiliários, in Actas do II Seminário Luso-Brasileiro do Centro de Estudos Notariais e Registais e do Instituto do Registro Imobiliário do Brasil, Coimbra Editora, 2009.
Jardim Mónica /Andrade, Margarida Costa/Patrão, Afonso – 85 Perguntas sobre Hipoteca Imobiliária, Coimbra, Almedina, 2017.
JARDIM, Mónica – Efeitos Substantivos do Registo Predial – Terceiros para Efeitos de Registo, Coimbra, Almedina, 2013.
JARDIM, Mónica - Escritos de Direito Notarial e Registal, Coimbra, Almedina, 2013.