Theoretical, laboratory and field work classes, arise throughout the semester. In the lectures will be presented on the subjects listed in paragraphs 1 and 2 of the "q", using appropriate equipment and bibliography.
The laboratory classes will be taught during the semester in the appropriate Lab, equipped with microscopes, magnifiers and other equipment / reagents usual in biology classes.
The field work will be performed mainly at the Department of Life Science and the Botanical Garden of the University of Coimbra.
Objectives: This unit aims to provide essential knowledge about biology, the role of living things on our planet, instill and develop environmental concerns.
1. Knowledge and understanding capacity: Recognize and use concepts and principles of biology, encouraging systemic and diachronic thinking.
2. Self-learning: Ability to acquire knowledge independently. Use available media (literature and other) to evolve knowledge.
3. Applying knowledge and understanding: Collect, analyze, synthesize and process biological information, using appropriate field and lab methodologies and techniques.
4. Judgment / decision making: Take/develop an analytical and critical attitude of the self work based on solid and extended scientific knowledge.
5. Communication: Prepare, process, interpret and communicate biological information using relevant bibliographic and other sources, appropriate communication and analytical tools.
1. Origin and Evolution of Life.
1.1. Origin and diversity of living things. Natural selection. Phylogenetic trees. Different cell types.
1.2. Evolution of life: theories and evolutionary processes.
1.3. Natural selection.
1.4. Phylogenetic trees.
2.1. Systematics, the biodiversity science.
2.2. Evolution of classification systems.
2.3. General characteristics of the different groups of living things.
2.4. Biological cycles.
3. Ecology (group class work).
3.1. Abiotic factors of the biosphere.
3.2. Organization of ecosystems.
3.3. Biogeochemical cycles, energy flow and nutrient cycling in ecosystems.
3.4. Terrestrial and aquatic biomes.
Lília Maria Antunes dos Santos
Synthesis work: 20.0%
Biology. Cambell, Reece and Mitchell. Benjamin - Cummings Pub Co.
Biology – Exploring Life. Brum, McKane & Karp. Wiley
Biology of Plants. Raven, Evert & Eichhorn. Freeman
Guia de Microalgas (Algoteca da Universidade de Coimbra), Santos, M.F. & Santos, L.M.A.
Guia Ilustrado das Macroalgas (Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra), Pereira, L.