Molecular and Cell Neurobiology
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology.
The teaching methodologies include lectures, classes for discussion of methods used in Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology research, problem solving sessions and presentation and discussion of research papers by the students. The problem solving sessions are aimed at solving problems based on the interpretation of results selected from scientific publications in the field.
The main objective of this course is that the students learn about central concepts in Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, and the experimental approaches routinely used when addressing scientific questions in this area.
1. Structure of the nervous system
2. Axonal transport
3. Molecular mechanisms of synaptic transmission
3.1. Methodologies and experimental models to study neurotransmitter receptors and neurotransmitter release
3.2. Synaptic structure
3.3. Synthesis, accumulation in synaptic vesicles and degradation of the neurotransmitters acetylcholine, glutamate, GABA, glycine, catecholamines e serotonin
3.4. Molecular mechanisms of exocytosis
3.5. Structure and function of neurotransmitter receptors
3.6. Synaptic plasticity and memory.
Carlos Jorge Alves Miranda Bandeira Duarte
* Byrne, J.H., Heidelberger, R., Waxham, M.N. (2014) From Molecules to Networks. An Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience. Elsevier Science, San Diego, CA
* Siegel, G.J., Albers, R.W., Brady, S.T., Price, D.L. (2012) Basic Neurochemistry. Academic Press, Burlington, MA
* Purves, D., Augustine, G.J., Fitzpatrick, D., Hall, W.C., LaMantia A.-S., McNamara, J., Williams, S.M. (2017) Neuroscience. Sinauer Associates, Inc., MA. (6th edition).