2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Students are expected to be fairly familiar with elementary interaction design concepts and programming.
Theoretical (T) classes, where a detailed overview of topics and cases is presented, with special attention to User Interface, Experience and Service Design. Contextual examples are presented and student discussion is promoted. Interaction design patterns are presented and discussed with their respective application in real-life situations.
Practical Laboratory (PL) classes are used to develop concrete interface projects in student group.
The Interface Technologies course encourages students to develop empirical knowledge in the development of interfaces, effectively planing and designing for human interaction. Students are expected to acquire the necessary skill set to evaluate advanced interaction processes and propose adequate and consistent design solutions, using diverse technologies in the deployment of interactive products. By the end of the unit, students should be able to employ adequate interface design solutions in specific contexts of human interaction, not only ensuring the aesthetic quality of their solutions, but also its usability, consistency and their adequacy to solve the specific problems at hand.
1. Interface technologies as tools for the interaction designer.
2. Analysis of the Human sensorial complex and its influence for the design of interfaces. Psych-Cognitive aspects and its relation to usability.
3. Interface technologies. Functional Aspects and Implementation: Audio input and output, voice recognition and synthesis; Tactile, gesture and haptic; Image/video, pattern recognition, face tracking, gesture tracking; Multimodal technologies.
4. Analysis and classification of interfaces; tangible/intangible, ephemeral, direct/indirect manipulation, immersive, natural.
5. Augmented reality and intelligence at the interface.
6. Universal design and accessibility.
Tiago José dos Santos Martins da Cruz
Moggridge, Bill (2007). Designing Interactions. The MIT Press
Wigdor, Wixon, Brave NUI World: Designing Natural User Interfaces for Touch and Gesture
Maximo banzi, Getting started with Arduino
Paul Sherz, Practical Electronics for Inventors
PACKT group, Mastering Open CV with Practical Computer Vision Projects,
Murray, Janet H (2012). Inventing the Medium: Principles of Interaction Design as a Cultural Practice. The MIT Press
Johnson, Jeff (2010). Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules. Morgan Kaufmann
Tidwell, Jennifer (2011). Designing Interfaces, 2nd Ed. O'Reilly Media