Interactive Media Design
1st Cycle Studies
Design Theory,Typography in Digital Media, Programming courses, Internet Technology, Software Engineering.
The methodology is based a combination of theoretical presentations and discussion of concepts, models, methods and instruments, with practical application exercises in a studio environment. The student is required to execute a small group project where design techniques will be exercised, to develop communication and work organization capacities, with four sessions of presentation & critique, for feedback by peers and teachers.
Through this curricular unit students will have an introduction to foundational concepts to understand and design interaction with computational media. The student will: - Understand the concept of medium and the affordances of computational media, their role in human activities and cultural practices; - Understand and apply concepts, models and techniques, essential for the organization of User-Centered Inetraction Design processes; -Develop prototyping competencies as a strategy for research and creativity for Experience Design; - Understand and apply the concepts of usability, engagement and participation, in the evaluation of the user experience.
1. Brief introduction to media studies and to the affordances of Computational Media;
2. Introduction to human performance models based on cognitive theory;
3. Interaction Design and its motives: communication, collaboration, awareness, scripting, expression, engagement, participation;
4. Organizing the User-Centered Interaction Design process: methods, roles, phases, dependencies, estimation and planning;
5. Getting to know users and their motivations;
6. Prototyping interactive media as an exploratory design strategy;
7. Introducing the usability concept and the user experience evaluation methods.
Jorge Carlos dos Santos Cardoso
McLuhan, M (2007). Understanding Media
Murray, J (2011). Inventing the Medium: Principles of Interaction Design as a Cultural Practice
Preece, Rogers and Sharp (2015). Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction
Moggridge, B (2007). Designing Media.