Typography, Design and Communication Theory.
The cognitive method of learning is valued through: • Practical classes for the development of a multidisciplinary semester project, aimed at solving real problems in a simulated context; • Presentation and discussion classes of reference Design projects, as well as bibliography; • Presentation, evaluation and collective discussion of the projects developed (intermediate and final) as a learning moment.
To train for the interdisciplinary practice of Design and information technologies, in the context of an identity project applied to several supports, with a focus on the web; to develop research skills; to foster teamwork and individual creativity; to know how to integrate and to apply knowledge of Internet design, composition, typography, programming and technologies; to develop prototyping skills in the area of web programming; to know how to plan and to manage a medium-sized design project in a structured way; to develop critical thinking as well as oral and written communication.
1. Introduction to the methodological, technical and language procedures of the graphic identity design project - Introduction to the problem, sampling, descriptive and analytical studies, experimental studies, analysis of tests and implementation
2. Planning and management of the design project
3. Publishing media and vehicles in the context of apllication of web technologies
4. Types of identification and practical requirements of a brand - the identity of organizations in a network context
5. Graphic identity manuals applied to static (material) and dynamic (screen, web) media
6. Dynamic and generative graphical identities - role of technology and concepts of community, modularity, flexibility, interactivity
7. Implementation of a prototype on the web with development and integration with platforms and services
8. Communicational effectiveness analysis of a graphic identity Design project.
Artur Luís Gonçalves de Azevedo Rebelo Alves
BRUINSMA, M. (2003). Sites de création — Innover sur le web. 1ére edition. Thames & Hudson: Paris. ISBN 2-87811-227;
LUPTON, E. (2010). Thinking with type — A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students. Princeton Architectural Press: New York. ISBN 978-1568989693;
PELTA, R. (2004). Diseñar hoy: Temas contemporaneos de diseño grafico. Paidos Iberica: Barcelona . ISBN 978-8449315336.
MOLLERUP, P. Marks of Excellence: The history and taxonomy of trademarks. London: Phaidon Press Limited, 1999. ISBN 978-0-7148-3838-1.
LUPTON, E. & PHILLIPS, J. C., Graphic design: The new basics. 1st ed., New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2008. ISBN 978-1568987026;
FRASCARA, J. (2004). Communication Design: Principles, Methods, and Practice. Allworth Press: New York. ISBN 978-1581153651.