General Hydraulics I, Solid Mechanics, Engineering Geology.
Theoretical classes with detailed presentation, using audiovisual means, of the concepts, principles and fundamental theories and solving of basic practical exercises to illustrate the practical interest of the subject and exemplify its application to real cases.
Theoretical-practical classes where the students, supervised by the staff member, solve practical exercises, which require the combination of different theoretical concepts and promote critical reasoning in the presence of more complex problems.
Laboratory classes with execution/observation of tests, including treatment and interpretation of results.
To provide the students with the main concepts, principles and theories required to explain, understand and predict the physical state and the hydraulic and the mechanic behaviours of soil massifs, in the natural condition and when used as a construction material, under the influence of the loading imposed by structures built on or inside them.
1. Physical and Identification properties
Composition; basic properties; grain size distribution; plasticity of clayey soils; Unified Classification.
Basic concepts; compaction in the laboratory; compaction equipment; compaction procedures and control in the field.
3. Stress state at rest
Stress concept in particulate media; principle of effective stress; evaluation of the stress state at rest.
4. Water in soils. Percolation
One-dimensional flow; assessment of permeability; bi-dimensional flow; hydraulic instability; capillarity.
5. Compressibility and consolidation
Confined stratum; oedometer test; primary consolidation settlements; Terzaghi’s theory of consolidation; secondary consolidation; consolidation acceleration.
6. Stresses and elastic strains
Problem formulation; models of soil behaviour; elastic solutions for surface loading; calculation of strains; ground settlements.
Mini Tests: 50.0%
• Matos Fernandes, M. (2006) – Mecânica dos Solos – Conceitos e Princípios Fundamentais, Vol. I, Edições FEUP.
• Lemos, L. L. (2002) – Apontamentos de Mecânica dos Solos, DEC-FCTUC.
• Das, B. M. (2000) - Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering, Brooks/Cole.
• Coelho, P.A.L.F., Almeida e Sousa, J. e Marques, F.E.R. (2007) – Diapositivos das aulas teóricas de Mecânica dos Solos I, DEC-FCTUC.