Basic Geology; Sedimentary Petrology; Paleontology.
Lectures, theoretical/practical, lab and fieldwork.
Laboratory work in groups of 3.
Exercises about: survey and representation of stratigraphic profiles; determining ages of stratigraphic units; stratigraphic maps; correlation. Detailed explanation of the procedures.
Field work in groups of 3 with a view to preparing a report and its oral presentation.
1. Knowledge and ability to understand:
- Recognize and utilize concepts and principles of stratigraphy, stimulating systemic and diachronic thought.
2. Application of knowledge and understanding:
- Collect, analyze, synthesize and process stratigraphic information in a meaningful and relevant way, using the appropriate field and laboratory methodologies.
3. Judgment / decision making:
- Conduct fieldwork and responsibly and safely lab, adopting
attitudes that minimize environmental impacts.
- Prepare, process, interpret and communicate stratigraphic information using relevant sources, appropriate speech, and the appropriate analytical tools.
5. Self-learning competences:
- Become autonomous in terms of meta-cognition and self-learning.
1. Basic Stratigraphy.
1.1. Fundamental concepts and principles of stratigraphy.
1.2. Stratigraphic nomenclature.
1.3. Time in Geology. Chronostratigraphy and Geochronology.
2. Applied Stratigraphy.
2.1. Analysis of the Stratigraphic Record.
2.2. Stratigraphic and Paleogeographic Synthesis.
3. Technical Applications of Stratigraphy.
3.1. Stratigraphy and Exploration of Resources.
3.2. Stratigraphy and Society.
Rui Paulo Bento Pena dos Reis
Laboratory work or Field work: 35.0%
BROOKFIELD, M. E. (2004) – “Principles of Stratigraphy”, Blackwell Publ., Malden, 340 p.
PROTHERO, D. (1989) – “Interpreting the Stratigraphic Record”, Freeman & Company, New York, 410 p.
SALVADOR, A. (1994) – “International Stratigraphic Guide. A guide to stratigraphic classification, terminology, and procedure “, (second edition), Intern. Subcommission on Stratigr. Classification of I.U.G.S., Intern. Comm. On Stratigraphy, Intern. Union of Geological Sciences and The Geological Soc. of America (eds.), 214 p.
VERA TORRES, J. A. (1994) – “Estratigrafía. Principios y Métodos”, Ed. Rueda, Madrid, 802 p.