General Geology; Mineralogy.
Theoretical-practical lessons with two strands: presentation of theoretical foundations (lectures) and solving exercises with support from teaching staff. The exercise of geological mapping with support and advice of the teachers.
With this course unit title is intended that students acquire principles, methods and the underlying techniques to reading and interpretation of geological and topographic maps. In the field, aims to provide the student with the ability to identify and characterize different types of materiais and geological structures, as well as assess the spatial and volumetric distribution of soils and rocks and develop geological mappping in the field.
1. The foundations of geological mapping. Instruments and field equipment
2. Reading and interpretation of topographic maps.
3. Reading and interpretation of geological maps and other thematic maps.
4. The interpretative exercises and abstraction of the organization of lithic volumes and geological structures.
5. Positioning techniques and referencing of the field. Guidance methods in the field and handling/working with the compass.
6. Principles of representation and sampling of geological materials.
7. Cartographic materials and identification of geological structures.
8. Identification and representation of other environmental variables.
9. Representation of geological structures and contacts.
10. Geological mapping exercise in field work.
António Luís de Almeida Saraiva
Synthesis work: 25.0%
Laboratory work or Field work: 75.0%
Alvarez, J. (1989) - Cartografia Geológica-, Paraninfo, Madrid.
Compton, R. (1985) - Geology in the Field-, John Wiley & Sons, USA.
Rebelo, J. A. (1999) - As Cartas Geológicas ao serviço do desenvolvimento. Publicação integrada nas Comemorações dos 150 anos da criação da I Comissão Geológica. Instituto Geológico e Mineiro.
Lisle, Richard J., Brabham, P. & Barnes, J. (2011) - Basic Geological Mapping. The Geological Field Guide. Wiley-Blackwell.