Lectures with detailed exposition, using visual aids, presenting the concepts, principles and theories. Theoretical-practical classes in which the students, with the guidance of teachers, become familiar with geologic maps, with the geological materials (rocks and minerals) and applied exercises of Engineering Geology.
Provide the students with fundamental knowledge of the geology concerning the execution of engineering works. The bases, objectives and methodology of the geological and geotechnical studies, applied to various kinds of engineering works is presented. Interactions between the geology, engineering works, geological materials and environment.
Relation between geology and civil engineering.
Introduction to the origin, evolution and structure of the Earth.
Surface processes: weathering, soil formation, transport processes erosion and deposition.
Types of rocks and their minerals.
Geological and geotechnical maps. Structural elements of the groundmass, with relevance to the engineering works.
Methods and techniques of prospection and testing.
The engineering geology of large engineering projects (eg: embankments, dams, linear works, underground works). Geology and Environment (geohazards and environmental problems resulting from engineering works).
Macroscopic identification of minerals and rocks. Reading and interpretation of geological maps. Geological and geotechnical cross sections.
João António Mendes Serra Pratas
- Blyth, F.G.H., de Freitas, M.H. “A Geology For Engineers” (7ª edition). Edward Arnold, London.
- González de Vallejo, L. (2004) "Ingeniería Geológica" - Pearson Educácion, S.A., Madrid.
- Problemas práticos da disciplina de Geologia da Engenharia - Engª. Civil
- Castilho, Ana M. A., “Cartas topográficas e geológicas. Uma introdução ao seu estudo”
- Castilho, Ana M. A., (2002) “Propriedades Físicas dos Minerais”