Introduction to Literary Studies
Portuguese Language Literature
1st Cycle Studies
1) Lecturing will be oriented to the practical application of theoretical and critical notions, always illustrated by literary texts or texts excerpts of different genres and periods.
2) Commentary of selected theoretical texts.
3) Text analysis and discussion in close reading; short oral presentations and team work (to stimulate individual as well as collective work).
At the end of the semester students should be able to:
- deal with the problematics of literature;
- understand the specificity of literary text, namely the aspects concerning its materiality and meaning;
- identify literary modes, genres and subgenres;
- relate the literary text to its historical and cultural contexts;
- critically analyse and discuss narrative, lyric, and dramatic texts – always supported by adequate literary methodologies and metalanguage
1) Literature as an artistic expression and as an institution (preliminary reflection).
2) Literary discourse: how does the poetical text “communicate”?
The uses and figures of language; the plasticity of the signifier; polysemic forms of speech.
3) The concept of literary text, its models and conventions.
- Text, context and intertext.
- Mimesis: the possible worlds of fictionality.
- Literary modes and genres. Poetry, narrative and drama. Modern hybridity.
4) Methods of interpretation and analysis of key texts.
Maria Helena Jacinto Santana
Aristóteles (2003). Poética. Trad. E. Sousa. Lisboa: Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda.
AA VV. (1995-2001). Biblos. Enciclopédia Verbo das Literaturas de Língua Portuguesa. (Vols. 1-5). Lisboa: Editorial Verbo.
Compagnon, A. (2010) Para que serve a Literatura? Porto: Deriva.
Eco, U. (2019). Seis Passseios nos Bosques da Ficção. Lisboa: Gradiva.
Júdice, Nuno (2010). ABC da Crítica. Lisboa: Dom Quixote.
Matos, M. V. L. & Cunha, Vera (2017). Introdução aos Estudos Literários. Coimbra: Almedina.
Reis, C. (2018). Dicionário de Estudos Narrativos. Coimbra: Almedina.
Reis, C. (1995). O Conhecimento da Literatura. Coimbra: Almedina.
Silva, V. M. A. (1997 –8ª ed). Teoria da Literatura. Coimbra: Almedina.
Sousa, C. M. & Ribeiro, E. (Eds.) (2004). Antologia da Poesia Experimental Portuguesa. Coimbra: Angelus Novus.