1st Cycle Studies
- Lectures given by the instructor, or assigned to individual students (in cooperation with the instructor)
- Analysis, interpretation and discussion of the course readings and/or of further readings
- Individual or group assignments of interpretive-analytic papers, for in-class presentation.
This CU aims to address a diverse array of European cultural perspectives of Francophone cultural imprint, through authors and works representative of important tendencies of critical thinking within contemporary European civilization and culture. The programme was conceived in such a way that the students develop skills and practice of interpretation, analysis and debate of the different topics addressed by the unit's required readings.
- Essay and humour: Alain de Botton and the deconstruction of new ideologies of status/power: synchronic and diachronic perspectives.
- The critique of myths and dystopias of current European civilization and its context: Pascal Bruckner, Gilles Lipovetsky
- Synthesis and alternative approaches: Edgar Morin, Ilya Prigogine.
Maria do Rosário Neto dos Santos Mariano
Mini Tests: 25.0%
Botton, A. de. (2005). Status Ansiedade (Trad. port. de Pedro Serras Pereira). Lisboa : Dom Quixote.
Bruckner, P. (2003). A Euforia Perpétua (Trad. port. de António Cruz Belo). Lisboa : Editorial Notícias.
Lipovetsky, G. (2009). A Cultura-Mundo. Resposta a uma Sociedade desorientada (Trad. port. de Victor Silva). Lisboa: Ed. 70.
Lipovetsky, G. (2019) A Sociedade da Deceção (Trad.port. de Luís Filipe Sarmento). Lisboa: Ed.70.
Morin, E. e Prigogine, I.. ( 1998) A Sociedade em busca de Valores. Lisboa: Ed.Instituto Piaget