Knowledge of medical physiology.
Direct teaching. Contact class, expositive method with a period of discussion of the content with students. In the practical classes, the students will have the opportunity to prepare a scientific project or a project for technology development, which main goal is to design a potential therapeutic or preventive approach, based on Biomedical Engeneering tools, to the most frequent pathologies of the elderly.
The student should be able to (1) describe/explain the aging theories and main modifications at the molecular, cellular and organic level; (2) describe/explain the pathophysiology of aging; (3) describe/explain the immunomodulatory response as a modulator of aging pathology; (4) identify biomarkers of aging; (5) identify therapeutic targets and technological approaches to the most prevalent pathologies and design strategies to improve compliance and individual health management - promotion of an active life style during physical, mental and social aging and maintenance/improvement of self-care capacities; development of methodologies to prevent, diagnose and improve the functional decline, both physical and mental/cognitive in the elderly.
Theories of Aging:
Free radicals; Injury / Repair of DNA; Genetics; Telomerase
Pathophysiology of aging pathology
Vascular pathology: cardiac, brain and peripheral
Hepatic and renal failure
Eye pathology associated with optical nerve degeneration
What are the determinants of aging in humans?
Inflammatory-immune response, exercise, nutrition
Therapeutic Targets and optimization of adherence to therapy
Technologies to support active and healthy ageing.
• Chung HY, Cesari M, Anton S, Marzetti E, Giovannini S, Seo AY, et al. Molecular inflammation: underpinnings of aging and age-related diseases. Ageing Res Rev 2009;8:18-30
• Solana R, Pawelec G, Tarazona R. Aging and Innate Immunity. Immunity 2006 May;24:491–494
• Sander M, Avlund K, Lauritzen M, Gottlieb T, Halliwell B, Stevnsner T, et al. Aging—From molecules to populations. Mech Ageing Dev. 2008;129:614–623
• Abajo FJ. Effects of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors on Platelet Function. Mechanisms, Clinical Outcomes and Implications for Use in Elderly Patients. Drugs Aging 2011;28(5):345-367
• Moss C, Dhillo WS, Frost G, Hickson M. Gastrointestinal hormones: the regulation of appetite and the anorexia of ageing. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2012;25:3–15.