Construction Materials; Building Physics.
There will be theory and practical classes, where the course content will be taught using audio-visual media. Examples of practical applications will be demonstrated. When possible, students will be asked questions with a view to leading them to new knowledge.
Student evaluation will be based on an individual synthesis work, a group project undertaken by groups of 3 students and including a public presentation in class, and a final written exam.
To understand the concept of sustainability
To understand the impact of the construction industry on the environment
To learn evaluation criteria for sustainable construction
To acquire skills to make sustainable choices regarding materials and technologies.
1. Sustainable development and sustainable construction
2. Sustainability of construction materials; Toxicity of construction materials; Materials and energy
3. Waste Management of construction and demolition waste; Waste exploitation and recycling
4. Criteria for sustainable construction; Life cycle analysis; Environmental assessment systems: environmental classification of buildings; environmental product declarations, etc.
5. Sustainable buildings, Energy efficiency; Renewable energies; Air quality; Water use efficiency; Economic analysis.
Synthesis work: 20.0%
Charles J. Kibert, Sustainable Construction: Green Building Design and Delivery, John Wiley & Sons, 2008
F. Pacheco Torgal, Said Jalali, A sustentabilidade dos materiais de construção, TecMinho, Braga, 2010
Bjørn Berge, The ecology of building materials, Elsevier, 2009
Sustainability of constructions : integrated approach to life-time structural engineering : proceedings of the first workshop, Lisbon 13, 14, 15 September 2007 / Ed. by L. Bragança [et al.], Multicomp, Lisboa, 2007
Sustainability of constructions : integrated approach to life-time structural engineering : proceedings of seminar, Dresden 6, 7 October 2008 / Ed. by L. Bragança [et al.], COST, 2008.