2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Detailed description of concepts, principles, methodologies and best practices used to construct enterprise architectures in organizations. Presentation and discussion of case studies to illustrate the practical importance of methodologies.
Practical laboratory classes
Resolution of practical exercises and exploration of case studies which require the combination and association of concepts presented in theoretical classes. Fostering of critical thinking in the presence of more intricate problems.
An enterprise architecture tries to describe and control an organization’s structure, processes, applications, and systems in an integrated way. The unambiguous specification of components and their relationships in such an architecture requires a coherent architecture modeling language. Such a language must enable integrated modeling of architectural domains and should be appreciated both by people from IT and by people with a business background. In this course, we present such an enterprise modeling language that captures the complexity of architectural domains and their relations and allows the construction of integrated enterprise architecture models. It provides architects with concrete instruments that may improve their architectural practice.
1. Introduction to enterprise architecture- The architecture process; Drivers for enterprise architecture.
2. State of the art-Enterprise architecture and other governance instruments; Methods and frameworks; Architecture languages; Service-oriented architecture.
3. Foundations- Architectural complexity; Describing enterprise architectures; Pictures, models, and semantics.
4. Enterprise modeling -Service orientation and layering; Three dimensions of modeling; Business layer concepts; Application layer concepts; Technology layer concepts; Relations.
5. Viewpoints and visualization-Architecture viewpoints; Models, views, and visualizations; Visualization and interaction; Creating, selecting, and using viewpoints; Creating, selecting, and using viewpoints.
6. Tool support-Reasons for enterprise architecture tooling; The architecture tool landscape; Tool infrastructure; Workbench for enterprise architecture; View designer tool; Impact-of-change analysis tools.
7. Case Studies.
João Nuno Lopes Barata
Research work: 10.0%
• Enterprise Architecture at Work: Modelling, Communication and Analysis, Marc Lankhorst, Springer, ISBN: 978-3642296505, 2013.
Note: The syllabus is aligned with chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, and 11 of the book written by Lankhorst.