- Presentation of fundamental contents
- Elementary exercises to practice the macroeconomic calculus
- Debates during classes on current macroeconomic issues
- acquire a broad overview of the short and long-run macroeconomic approach.
- get to know the main macroeconomic diagnosis indicators and intervention instruments.
- be capable of performing some elementary calculations, useful to macroeconomic analysis.
- possess a minimum knowledge of the Portuguese and worldwide current macroeconomic problems
1. Introduction: the concept of macroeconomics; GDP and national accounts; three approaches to measuring production; time and spatial comparisons; the meaning of productivity.
2. Macroeconomics in the short and long-run; potential and actual output; the major problems in macroeconomics: growth, redistribution; unemployment; inflation; different attitudes towards macroeconomic problems: activism / non-activism; short introduction to growth theory.
3. Short-run macroeconomics (in a closed economy); the goods and services market, the money market and the IS/LM model; monetary and fiscal policies; the budget deficit problem
4. The open-economy macroeconomics; basic concepts: balance of payments, exchange rate and exchange market, international investment position; exchange rates regimes; capital flows and macroeconomic policy; short introduction to the international trade theory; macroeconomics in the euro area (brief approach)
Avaliação contínua assente na participação nas aulas e em debates sobre problemas macroeconómicos específicos, e na produção de pequenos textos relativos a esses debates : 45.0%
- Compulsory final exam - Continuing assessment based on participation in practical classes and debates on specific macroeconomic problems, and on the production of short texts related to such debates : 55.0%
MANKIW, N. Gregory – Macroeconomics. 8th ed.. New York : Worth Publishers, 2013. [Ed. de 2003: BP 330.101.541 MAN; Ed. portuguesa de 2010]
MANKIW, N. Gregory - Principles of economics. 6th ed. [South Melbourne] : South-Western Cengage Learning, 2012.[BP 330. 1 MAN; Ed. portuguesa de 2012]
RAMOS, Pedro Nogueira - Contas nacionais : um breve texto introdutório. Coimbra : FEUC, 2007. [BP 330.5 RAM]
RAMOS, Pedro Nogueira - Macroeconomia internacional. Coimbra : FEUC, 2007. [BP 339.9 RAM]
RAMOS, Pedro Nogueira - Sumário-guião das aulas teóricas de macroeconomia : 1999/2000. Coimbra : FEUC, 1999. [BP 330.101.541 RAM]