Once this is an optional course unit for different graduations, it is recommended to the students a transposition to the field of sociology of the main topics concerning the life of organisations and the way labour is being structured on it.
This course unit aims to encourage the active participation of students in classes. Therefore, the evaluation combines the involvement of students in classes, the performing of small written essays and answers with consultation (in a total of 8 values), and a final exam with no consultation (12 values):
Who will not opt for mixed assessment will be evaluated through a final exam of 20 values
Understanding the key role of social, cultural, political and symbolic dimensions of organizations.
- Capturing the importance of individual and group dynamics;
- Understand the role of people in organizations as "resources" and the factors surrounding the formation of identities and motivations at work;
- Identify power relations (formal and informal);
- To characterize the processes of negotiation and conflict;
- Locate the role and perspectives of organizational culture;
- Identify mechanisms of change
Identification and characterization of general issues related to the sociology of organizations
- Instrumental: cognitive (reading and learning), methodological (combination of methodological tools and forms of assessment), language (oral and written summary of topics on the program);
- Interpersonal: the participation (individual and /or group) in teaching sessions is valued
1. The organization, the individual and the group. 2. The identity, people and work at the organizations. 3. The actor and the system: power relations and strategic analysis. 4. Conflict, negotiation vis-à-vis employer and trade union organisations. 5. The role of culture in organizations. 6. Leadership and organizational development.
Hermes Augusto Tadeu Moreira da Costa
Presentations in the classroom, written synthesis, answers in consultations tests : 40.0%
Final Exam: 60.0%
BERNOUX, Philippe — A sociologia das organizações. Porto : Rés, [1998 ?]. [BP 65.01 BER]
BERNOUX, Philippe — Sociologie du changement dans les entreprises et les organisations. Paris : Editions du Seuil, 2004. [BP 65.01 BER]
BILHIM, João Abreu de Faria — Teoria organizacional : estruturas e pessoas. 4ª ed. rev. e act.. Lisboa : ISCSP, 2005. [BP 65.01 BIL]
FERREIRA, J. M. Carvalho ; NEVES, José ; CAETANO, António Alves - Manual de psicossociologia das organizações. Lisboa : Escolar Editora, 2011. [BP 65.01 FER]
FILLEAU, Marie-Georges ; MARQUES-RIPOULL, Clotilde— Teorias da organização e da empresa : das correntes fundadoras às práticas actuais. Oeiras : Celta Editora, 2002. [BP 65.01 FIL]
HOFSTEDE, Geert — Culturas e organizações : compreender a nossa programação mental. Lisboa : Edições Sílabo, 1997. [BP 316.7 HOF]
VELOSO, Luísa — Empresas, identidades e processos de identificação. Porto : Editora da Universidade do Porto, 2007. [BP 334.7 VEL]