2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Theoretical and practical classes.
Resolution of theoretical and practical exercises.
Development of field observations.
The course aims to give valences and capabilities for:
(1) Identify and recognize the strategic importance of energy geological resources: fossil hydrocarbons - oil, natural gas, coal and methane - uranium and geothermal systems.
(2) To develop mining projects, evaluation and exploration of energy georesources.
(3) Establish the legal framework for the exploration, exploitation and management of energy georesources.
(1) Fossil hydrocarbons (oil, natural gas, coal and methane)
- Geology of oil and coal: the genesis of hydrocarbons, processes and general training conditions;
- Petroleum systems: environments and architecture tanks *;
- Reservations calculation: assessment methods of training, maps and geological profiles *;
- Legislative Framework for exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons;
- Methane Hydrate (type of deposits, origin, methods of operation and associated problems, estimated reserves) *;
- The use of hydrocarbons and climate - discussion of their interrelationships.
- Types of deposits and their origin *
- Farming methods
- Consumption and reserve estimates worldwide *
- Future perspectives
(3) Geothermal resources
- Natural geothermal systems;
- Prospecting, development and operation of geothermal resources *;
- Design and installation of geothermal projects *;
- Legislation on research grants and exploitation of geothermal resources.
Rui Paulo Bento Pena dos Reis
Laboratory work or Field work: 30.0%
Albu, Banks & Nash(1997) Mineral and Thermal Groundwater Resources.Chapman & Hall. London
Dickson, M & Fanelli(1995) Geothermal Energy. John Wiley &Sons
THE HANDBOOK OF GROUNDWATER ENGINEERING (1999) Ed. Chief Jaques W. Delleur. CRC Press – Springer-Verlag
Selley, Richard C. (1998) Elements of petroleum geology.-Academic Press 2ª edition. San Diego. 470 p
Hunt, John M. (1996) Petroleum geochemistry and geology. – Ed. :W. H. Freeman, 2nd edition. New York. 743 p
Fundamentals of reservoir Engineering , Dake L.P., 1978, Elsevier
Petroleum geology of Africa : new themes and developing technologies. (2003) Publ. Geological Society. Ed. T. Arthur, D.S. MacGregor and N.R. Cameron. London. 289 p. + 1 CD-ROM
Uranium Deposits of the World (2011) – Dahlkamp, F., Springer-Verlag, 2400p.
Charting the Future of Methane Hydrate Research in the United States (2004) – Committee to Review the Activities Authorized Under the Methane Hydrate Research and Development Act of 2000, Oc