Geological and Mining Engineering
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Theoretical and practical classes.
Resolution of theoretical and practical exercises
Development of laboratory activities
Development of field observations and tests.
The course aims to give students skills to: (1) develop a detailed hydrologic and hydrogeologic characterizations, (2) build or integrate projects for exploration and evaluation natural water resources, (3) design and development processes and structures to exploit aquifer systems and units, (4) integrate management teams and sustained exploration of water (surface and groundwater) resources.
1. Natural surface and groundwater bodies as resource.
2. Surface water and groundwater resources in Portugal.
3. Portuguese aquifer systems. Recognition and evaluation of aquifer units and systems.
4. Aquifers and groundwater exploration: studies and projects.
6. Aquifers and groundwater exploitation: catchment structures: types, sizing, processes and techniques of construction and maintenance.
7. Boreholes and hydrodynamic tests.
8. Legislative framework for the exploration and exploitation of water resources.
9. Principals for a sustained exploitation of water resources.
José Manuel Martins de Azevedo
Resolution Problems: 20.0%
Brassington, R. (2017). Field Hydrogeology, 4th Edition. New York: Ed. John Willey & Sons.
Sterrett, R. J. (2007). Groundwater and Wells, 3rd Edition. New Brighton, MN: Johnson Screens.
Delleur J.W. (Ed) (2007). The Handbook of Groundwater Engineering. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
Singhal, B.B.S. & Gupta, R.P. (2010). Applied Hydrogeology of Fractured Rocks, 2nd Edition. Dordrech: Springer Science & Business Media.
Sanders, L.L. (1998). A Manual of Field Hydrogeology. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Domenico, P.A. & Schwartz, F.W. (1997). Physical and Chemical Hydrogeology, 2nd Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
Fetter, C. W. (2001). Applied Hydrogeology, 4th Edition. London: Pearson Education International.
Manual de Boas Práticas para Execução e Exploração de Furos de Captação de Águas Subterrâneas (2012). Lisboa: Instituto Português da Qualidade.
Weight, W. D.; Sonderegger, J. L. (2000). Manual of Applied Field Hydrogeology. New York: McGraw-Hill.